View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2022, 11:55 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Online Heroscape Season 45: VC RtW Playoffs

I got the win over Dysole in a game that started quite close but turned into a blowout when Himmel decided to become the God of the Wyverns and absolutely obliterate Dysole's SZ. I also had all 4 initiative rolls go my way and Guilty went 4/4 on defense.

Going into the game, I knew there were a few favorable sub-matchups for me, namely Nakita -> Raelin, Himmel -> 20th, Arkmer/Brutes -> Shieldsmiths. I didn't love any of my matchups into Rachiem though. I also decided that, if at all possible, I had to focus on killing Raelin 1st because a 6 defense Rachiem could just rip my army to shreds.

Round 1:
I went Himmel/Arkmer/Nakita while Dysole went Dwarves/Dwarves/Raelin. I lost init (which I wanted). Himmel took the single 3-hex height to the north while Dwarves advanced on the middle. Arkmer took up a blocking position on one of the central jungle+shadow spaces and missed killing a dwarf. Raelin moved up to a very aggressive position, basically in the dead center of the map on 4-height with no relevant LoS blockers. I moved Nakita up and took 3 shots up at Raelin, doing 3 wounds.

Round 2:
I went Nakita/Guilty/Himmel while Dysole went Dwarves/Rachiem/Rachiem. I won init but all 3 Nakita shots only did 1 more wound to Raelin, leaving her alive with 1 life. A Dwarf snuck into my SZ and engaged Guilty (I could have blocked it with better Nakita placement, a big mistake on my part), but Guilty blocked the 1/2 with a 2/2. A Dwarf also took Valda. Guilty then moved up (taking a LEA shot), but missed both shots at Raelin. Rachiem moved quickly, using Valda, and hit Guilty with a 2/4 that Guilty blocked with a 2/2 in a clutch roll that kept Lion of Punjab alive. Himmel then killed Raelin and put 2 wounds on Rachiem, claiming the height that Raelin was previously on. Rachiem moved away (LEA missed) and took the height near Valda in the north, killing a Nakita with a SA.

Round 3:
I went Nakita/Brutes/Himmel while Dysole went Dwarves/Rachiem/20th. I won init, and this one was massive, as I avoided losing my Nakitas. I split them up so Rachiem couldn't kill them both, and they were able to kill Rachiem with just their two shots (one even ground, one up). The Dwarves got a few attacks in, but both were blocked (one on a Brute, one on Himmel). The Brutes moved up, killing the one Dwarf in my SZ. Dysole then had a lost OM. Himmel then had a once-in-a-lifetime-turn. I disengaged (LEA missed) from a dwarf in the center to charge Dysole's SZ as I was worried about 20th in an end-game. Himmel proceeded to kill 5 20th Maine (all with 4 defense) and 2 Dwarves (5 defense) over 7 consecutive attacks (none of which I had height on). Himmel was only stopped by running out of victims, as she eventually couldn't reach the last remaining figures and 'settled' for just re-taking height in the center. The last 20th moved up and killed a Brute.

Round 4:
I went Himmel/Brutes/Nakita while Dysole went Dwarves/Dwarves/Dwarves. I won init again, and Himmel took a heighted attack at the Dwarf on Valda, but the 3/6 was blocked by a 3/5. More than fair given what Himmel had already done. Dysole then risked 2 engagement strikes (both missed) and killed a Nakita and put 2 wounds on Himmel. The Brute gruts moved up and killed all 3 Dwarves across 6 attacks via Berserking. Dysole lost a turn before my last Nakita moved forward and killed the final 20th to end the game.

gg Dysole, my dice were absolutely brutal and I don't expect to ever be able to replicate the kind of luck that Himmel embodied in round 2.