View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:16 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: WARGROUNDS of SCAPE (WoS) - discussion thread

I would like to nominate Remains of Clionesia, by tannergx.

pdf link

Topdown for online play

.hsc (.vs)

The requirements for this map are simple: RotV + FotA. I've played on this map in, I think, three different online events and three different live events; It works in both settings.

---

And, of course, I vote YES to induct this map. With all the times I've used this map it needs no further review from my end.

The road and excellent pathing makes it hard to clog things up. Combine that with the LoS blockers, and there are definitely ways for ranged forces to find height and snipe at an advancing force, but they have to work for it (shades of Highways and Dieways).

This map is a great model for how to use uncapped columns. It's not a "maze" map, with lots of narrow openings that can easily get clogged up. Instead, the columns naturally divide the map into zones, without restricting movement too greatly. There's a tension between clogging things up and blocking line of sight, and the balance is really well-struck here.

I also appreciate the restraint on height changes. There's of variation, to be sure - nearly every space in the middle area of the map either gives up height to an adjacent space, or has height advantage on an adjacent space (or both). But there are large stretches of connected same-level terrain, which is not just great for my boy Tor-Kul-Na, but for any double-spaced walking melee figure.

If there's anything I'd change on the map it's the startzones - that's the one area where the map is too flat. It's just two rows of level 1 grass. That said, I think that's pretty much necessary given the terrain used (most of the material is dedicated to creating the dynamic middle area of the map).

A great map that I'm happy to give a to. I hope to see it getting more use at tournaments everywhere.

Last edited by dok; September 13th, 2014 at 12:25 PM.