View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:53 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of City Park - Design Phase

I built this map today and was thinking Central Park myself while building it but now that Bats mentioned some named parks from comic book cities I think I like those better. I really like how this map looks on the table. Both teams start off in the asphalt road, the road is lined with a concrete sidewalk, then a road tile walkway runs through a park filled with tress and grassy hills with a fountain right in the center. Very nice. From a game play stand point I really like the idea of having your whole army start off on low ground to the surrounding terrain. It makes you have to decide how important it is to you to move all of your figures out of the start zone before the enemy arrives. Do you put all your OMs on just a few figures and rush out to claim the center of the board or attack your opponents start zone, or do you play it safe and make sure everyone has moved up first.

I discovered a few issues though. The large tree base is slightly larger than the 4 hexes it sits on, which is only an issue when you try to surround it with other tiles. So while you can force it into it's spot, it leaves everything just a little unsettled and a few tiles off set. So I went ahead and used some of the extra single grass tiles to build up a base for all the trees. The tree are in the same exact spots, just one level higher.

The other thing I noticed is that the forward most position in each start zone is exactly 6 spaces away from the top of the fountain. We have a lot of 6 flying ranged units in C3G now so from a competitive standpoint I think this is a problem. Whoever wins initiative just zooms out to take up high ground in the center of the board on OM1 of round 1. My quick and dirty solution was to use the left over 7 hex concrete tiles to replace the forward asphalt tiles, then move the asphalt tiles & start zone spaces back to the street. There may be a better solution but here is the VS file of the changes I made so you can see what it looks like. The each start zone is now 9 hexes away from the center of the board as well as the other two single hexes of high ground on either side of the fountain.