View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2017, 05:16 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Smurf along with me: la la la-la la la!

Thank you all for your help. Here is the original graphic from yesterday (“hand drawn” version since that’s my personal favorite and y'all seem to like it too), followed by a tweaked version based on feedback:

Changes:

1) Smurf head logo facing other direction. Which way looks better? I like the original, but it could be just because I’ve been looking at it that way longer.

2) The figure’s size is now located by the hitzone graphic in a (I think) helpful and novel (for ‘scape) way. “Small,” “Medium,” etc. are represented by a single letter next to the number, so 6M in the example is “6 MEDIUM.” A couple of you asked about the intended audience. I never thought about it in a mindful way, so I’m glad you brought it up—I’m OK with assuming that 0% of people coming to Smurfscape aren’t already very familiar with Heroscape, so such abbreviations and use icons vs. labels should be OK with that audience.

3) Points moved and I present 3 options for representing them. Which one is best? Coin, text, pink piggy bank? (Yeah, I went there). I think the logical location for which ever representation we think is best is either in this bottom-left of the white area or the bottom-right. After narrowing it down a bit, I can show options in both areas. Other ideas I had for graphically representing points include a cartoony money bag, a gem, or a coin purse, but haven’t mocked those up.

4) Species is tweaked, color and font-wise but you all seem to want it in a more traditional location, so I will make a mockup of that for my next post.

5) MRAD icons slid up slightly. In the next mockup, just mentioned, I will show you what it looks like with them even higher, breaking into the white area, as suggested. When I do, it will make my “cheating” with centering the text vertically (due to icon height differences) more apparent.

6) Text size: Keen eye, @japes ! The left-side attributes were indeed below the 7.5pt minimum I want to use, so they're a bit bigger in this draft (exactly 7.5pt).

----

Responses to your other feedback:

Icons: I don’t think the scape skull would work for attack, @jesus20456 , since the eye cutouts would interfere visually with the superimposed number. To everyone mentioning the range icon: yeah, it’s my least favorite one too, but I don’t have anything better yet. Bows, arrows, etc., aren’t “chunky” enough to put a number on them. @superfrog --I will look into armor for defense (or a portion of a suit like the helmet (oooh, oooh, maybe cartoonish VIKING helmet!))--that might just do the trick!

Quotes/flavor text: I’m glad this was well-received and will continue to include it on cards where it fits (and I’m able to come up with something—maybe the usuals in the fiction writers forum would help!)

Tagging other respondents not already tagged: @Tornado , @mcmeeple

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK