Thread: HexScape
View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: HexScape

Thanks Spuke Boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuke Boy View Post
When I was about to place a figure, scrolling sometimes didn't turn the figure. After placing the figure it worked fine again. As it just happened sometimes I couldn't quite figure out when exactly it happened. Once a figure had already been placed there was never a problem.
That's strange. I'll look into it.

Quote:
Another issue just occurs when you look at the map from a flat angle. When I click on a figure while there are other tiles behind it, the figure is placed on the tile behind it right away. A way to solve this problem would be to only start moving the figure once the mouse was moved a certain distance, or the mouse was clicked for a certain time. Like that, whenever I just click a figure, it only gets selected and won't be accidentally moved some place else.
Yeah, I already knew the problem, and you analyzed it and proposed very correct solution to it ! Did you already work on 3D software ? I think I'll go the "wait till the mouse move a certain distance to begin moving" way (I guess some people could be clicking really slowly for the other way), what do you think ?

Quote:
Something you might already be aware of: It is currently possible to place figures on spaces you can't see, for example behind a ruin, behind a glacier or below an overhang. It is also possible to place figures on spaces occupied by a glacier, a jungle tree/bush or a normal tree.
Yes, I know this already. For now, I won't manage collision with decor pieces, but I'll definitevelly come back at it when I'll have a playable version of HexScape. My main concern are the bush and jungle tree. They are quite flexible in real life and totally won't be in java, so it could prevent move that could be made irl.

Quote:
Another thing you might already know: When opening a different map, any figures placed on the map that was open before remain on their spaces and are invisible. A possible solution would be to open the new map in a different window without any armies loaded in it.
I missed this one ! You're right, I'll remove figure on the map befrore loading another one.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the next version! Keep it up
Stay tuned !

Also, HexScape will be an open source software, with source available on github. I already made the project there. For now, the sources on github are totally not up to date (I need to push a LOT of changes), but I started to use github to not the issues.

The ones you posted, plus others from the french forum can be found at https://github.com/lyrgard/HexScape/issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Wow, great stuff!

Preface: I have not tried out the download yet.

A suggestion: will it be possible to add custom terrain objects? Or will the software only read in whatever is in the .hsc file?
For now, I'll concentrate on using .hsc files, because it is the fastest way to have maps easilly available. Also, custom terrain add some problemes, for instance you need some way to tell HexScape where on the custom terrain figures can land. Perhaps I'll add support for custom terrain someday, but not before HexScape is fully playable with .hsc maps.
But I agree with you it could be super cool (and I believe C3G members would LOVE it ! Skyscrappers anyone ?)
The simplest way to do it would be to make a VirtualScape map with hex tiles where the figure can land, and I could add some way in the software to add custom decors after the map is loaded. Hum... this way, it could be made quite easilly. Still, I'll first make HexScape playable before thinking about doing it.
I'll note your suggestion.