View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Cleon's Unit Tier List (October 2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Nice list!

I'm not sure I agree with Hydra as 9.5, he's certainly good but I don't think distinctively better than 4th Mass or Nilfheim or any of the other 9s.

Also at this point I feel fairly confident in saying that Heavy Gruts are better in the meta than Knights of Weston; better pairing with Raelin and Chomp and Disengage have more utility than +1 defense and Jandar's Dispatch.

Warriors of Ashra and Marrden Hounds feel really low at Tier 5.

Beyond that it's kind of nitpicking. And even this is kind of nitpicking lol. I like the Tier ranking from 10-1 though, the cutoffs feel more natural than the letter grades.
I have pretty big worriment when it comes to Marrden Hounds. I agree they can be pretty strong and do nice damage, when they fit into the right time and place. But they just have several things that are large hindrances I can't ignore:

-They are very map dependent. Double-spaced squads run into issues in getting into ideal positions often, and Hounds reeeally want to get powerful engagement spots with as many units as you can.
-Their ability doesn't work against soulborgs. In a metagame where so many of the top tier and winning armies contain soulborgs (rats especially, trons, Q's. And more lower stuff you'll see occasionally that is still decent like Omnicrons), not having your ability against them is a pretty big problem. That's why I really can't rate Cyprien higher than he is, despite him being so strong in many matchups.
-They're decently luck dependent. Their movement ability doesn't really help them, it's really just a setback ability. 8 movement is the norm for them, which is the usual for a two spaced squad (either 7 or , and really Wild Pack Movement just means sometimes they can't move much, which is bad. If it included something like "if you roll 15+, add 9 to their movement" or "if you roll a 19 or 20, add 11 to their movement" then it would be an interesting ability that could help you out. But as it is, it's really just "you have 8 move but a third of the time you can't move much."

That being said they're not bad, I put them as a high Tier-5. I'm not that opposed to bumping them up to Tier 6. But I don't think they should be much higher than that, they have too many issues.

Yeah Warriors of Ashra I was going back and forth between Tier 5 and 6. They're probably 6. WoA+PKs or WoA+Q9 or WoA+Range-Counter are pretty strong armies. They also are very splashable. I remember Jexik splashed them for Day 2 with his Greenscale+Nilf+Raelin army one year. That was cool.

It's interesting how you feel about the Heavies. I always give Knights the edge in my mind with their base 4 defense, that they have that no matter what or where they are on the map. I feel Heavies are a bit more map dependent, or map-area dependent I guess. But Heavies have their advantages as well. Both are really great of course. I'll see if others chime in