View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Why didn't ya mention me, you fascist!?

I think for your last fanfic you should finally write that Ne-Gok-Sa Gardening story. The epic we've all been waiting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I think it would be super cool if you wrote up a story that included heroes from scape, going on a journey through different lands in Valhalla that you could remake into a campaign and actually play it along with the story you wrote. Example, "The adventurers go through a cavern and encounter a couple of trolls and a contingent of goblins". If you make a cool story, then I'm sure you could get help with some of the guys on here to make a scenario that follows along with your story. It would be pretty fun. Along with it being a good read, you could play a scenario along with it. Subplots could be side objectives that may help your heroes beat their enemies easier.
That's called Thunderstorm. I wouldn't recommend it, because it is very difficult to make game objectives always fit into a story in a logical way, or vise versa. Even though that was never really meant to be a story and therefore had a much clunkier translation, I'd still say it'd be really hard to pull it off smoothly. Unless you know someone who could do the scenario itself and co-write with them so it both plays well and reads well, but again that's a bit of a challenge. I think any well-written Heroscape fic can be made into a Scenario with a few tweaks, so having to fret about how it'll play out ahead of time will only detract from the story.

From my admittedly limited experience the best way to do subplots are usually to have them tie into or contribute to the main plot somehow by the end of the story, or at least have some kind of payoff. Subplots that go nowhere are boring. So that would require quite a bit of planning ahead. The plot can't just be a straight line: it's gotta be like a spider's web. Whatever you write, I say have a large cast of characters with differing objectives, motives, character arcs, and/or backstories. And then have some common thread linking them so they have something to connect or fight over.

~TAF,

TheAverageFan is Emirroon...
in THE BLUE CAVE