View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2018, 01:23 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: The Book of Master Splinter - Breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Him saving the OM and bumping their roll seems like pretty fatherly actions to me...If it's the theme of the name use the name there.
It isn't the theme of the name, it's the theme of the action. Saving the OM and bumping the roll are all well and good, but it translates, 100% as 'Master', not 'Father' - both distinct feelings that need, IMO, to come across. As their Master, he pushes them to do the best they can and organise themselves as well as they can (saving the OM - it isn't really a protective power, it's there to synergise with Leo's Turtle Power!) - as their father, he does what he can to make sure they don't come to harm at a push - his #1 priority is keeping his sons alive, that's a large part of why he trained them. It is the theme of the mechanics that conveys that he's more than just their martial arts master and sage leader, and conveys a necessary narrative in game. There are a lot of things I am willing to flex on with this design, but I'm sorry, the existance of this power is not one of them - it is the narrative core of the design, and without it, he doesn't feel like their father, to me.
See that's where we disagree...myself as a father I let my son make mistakes so he can learn something...but the OM save and the bump in the D20 is not a master power it's really only useful for the Turtles as a team in that he as the father knows how to temper Raphael and He has their father knows how to tame the Brash actions and give them that OM back that they lost through there eagerness.

I see his card as what he can offer to this specific family and not what he can be the master of. Those powers that the Turtle's have are why these powers link him narrative to them.

The current Father power could generically be used as a master of any NINJA and not just the ones he acts as a father too. Your current Fatherly Devotion power could be named Ninja Protection and no one would have any clue that it was to represent him being the father of the TMNT save from the word Turtle being in the power.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.