View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2020, 10:43 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

For me, I do spend time thinking about my army but it's probably unnecessary in the context of actual success in Reverse the Whip. I just like using the format as an excuse to come up with an army that I think is fresh and introduces interesting concepts. But I guess that's just because Gencon is a high profile event, for smaller Reverse the Whip events I usually just break out something simple or something I've played before.

Like for example this year in Online Con Reverse the Whip I wanted to see if I could make the Arrow Grut + Deathchaser hybrid build work, previous year at Gencon I wanted to put X17 + Theracus combo on the map and use Deathchasers without Raelin, and year before that I was playing a shell build with Raelin backed Tagawa Samurai Archers as a ranged screen for high offense pieces (Knights x1, MacDirk, and Syvarris). There is usually not a mastermind strategy for how I come up with these builds. Mostly just random brainstorming of figures that could fit together, and most of it does not work. I usually just play a couple test games with my dad and find something I like and maybe make a small adjustment to it from my initial idea to make it click. But once I come up with the build I like I spend too much time thinking about how awesome it will be.

I agree with dok that the most important thing is having something you're familiar with, that has smooth matchups, a decently high skill cap, and no high variance figures. I don't think you need to spend a lot of time doing that. You can probably play Spiders with Wyverns every time and dok can probably play TKN and Nagrubs every time without thinking too much about army selection and you'll both have a lot of success.