View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Looking at "Other" Melee Armies, and Raelin Musings

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Tor-Kul-Na - 220
Marrden Nagrubs x3 - 310
Raelin - 390
Other Support (110) - 500
As a card-carrying stompy-supporter, I'm with you 100% on this. I think TKN could have done very well.

If I had gone, and assuming I didn't chicken out and play knights & Nilfheim, my main event army would have been:

220 Tor-Kul-Na
90 Marrden Nagrubs x3
180 Major Q9

So... that doesn't have Raelin in it, obviously. I completely agree that Raelin helps this army out a lot, and it's tough to leave her out. I really like the idea of giving the Nagrubs 4 defense dice. That said, this was a "play for day 2" build. I'd be adding Raelin for sure on the skull, probably on the shield, and possibly even on the symbol. And it's not as though Q9 without Raelin is a big hindrance on day 1.

However, now that I think about it, Raelin+KMA may have been better for day 1. I could go Marro Warriors + Eldgrim on a Skull, Airborne Elite on a shield, and Q10 or Kaemon + Eldgrim on a symbol - all good options.

---

Of course, TKN's ability to break a rat screen is limited by terrain - rats placed in the right spots can be made stomp proof. (This was part of the reason I wanted Q9 - it gave me a backup option to clear out the rats.) On the other hand, the hivelord army is less vulnerable to 'trons than the orc army, because stomp can take out more 'trons than chomp. It's more vulnerable to a stinger-horde, though.