View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2020, 09:27 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: HS2010's Custom Units - 8/22/20 - Ebol

With the help of @Chris Perkins over the last couple of weeks, we've run quite a few tests with Ebol, in which we pretty quickly lowered his point cost to 80 (initially 100) and for our most recent test increased his Sensory Overload roll to 5 or lower (previously 3 or lower). We've ran every test without a clear sight restriction and added in the overload damage subtract-er about mid way through our recent run of tests.
NOTE: Initial Ebol post has the most recent version of Ebol.

From these tests, I think we both feel pretty good about Ebol's power set and how it plays on the board. There have been a couple times where Chris has rushed my SZ in attempt to assassinate Ebol at the start of a new round while there are still 2 or 3 OMs on him. While we never played with a clear sight restriction, for that reason I think a clear sight restriction would render him terrible against ranged armies that could target him at the start of a round and take free turns for the rest of the round. While without a clear sight restriction, he does just sit back in the SZ, between the OM transmissions and Sensory Overload, his presence is felt nearly every turn (yours and your opponent's).

One thing Chris brought up after our most recent game is the existence of Levitation on the card. It's purely there because of the figure's stance but doesn't really add anything to the figure. It's only a slight issue because of space on the card with the other powers, but Chris and I also realized we might need to add clause about attacking Ebol with your own figures. Attacking Ebol OM3 while your opponent is threatening to kill him at the start of the next round clearly benefits you and breaks the theme to an extent (you could argue Ebol being Valkrill means there's nothing he wouldn't do to help his team win).

Ebol is an interesting choice for Wannok wounds. Placing the wounds on him early can force interesting choices later on with Overload. It really just depends on what the rest of the army needs whether it be an army that benefits from the 'X' OM or one that doesn't and can lose it without consequence.

We still need a few more tests with Overload at 5 or lower, and at different point totals, along with different maps and formats. The good thing about Ebol's power set is even with higher point totals, the ease of OM management is mostly balanced out by more opportunities for Overload. Just happy with where he's at and wanted to post a progress update on him and see if anyone has any other feedback as well.

Again, a super big thanks to Chris for his help with these tests so far. A worthy opponent nearly every day.