View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:16 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Jace, Investigator) - Design

Alright, here's my attempt to put a draft together with some options for where we can tweak things.

Jydel (don't know where we came up with this but it seems fitting and memorable)
Vydar

Life 5(4? lower life could make the risk/reward of neural stimulant more delicate)
Move 5
Range 4(could be raised depending on how Neural Stimulant shakes out)
Attack 3
Defense 4(3? worth noting that 5 life 4 defense is actually pretty sturdy, assuming we end up with a mid-range hero with decent attack potential)
Points: ??? (Not really worth discussing until we have a clearer idea of where our numbers end up)

Left box stats--could be whatever, with the note that I prefer Neuromancer in the class and not the name.

Neural Stimulant (could be re-named to avoid drug mention as noted by Astroking)
When attacking with Jydel, you may add 3(2? 1?) to his attack value (and 2? to his range value). If you do, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 7? or lower, place a wound marker on this army card.
(Wild alternate to a D20 roll--If Jydel does not inflict a wound when using Neural Stimulant, place a wound marker on this card.)

(Alternatively, change the timing to "before moving" in order to incorporate a movement boost.)

Mindjack 13 (changed from Brainjack, either name could work)
After taking a turn with Jydel, if he inflicted one or more wounds on a Unique Hero with his normal attack this turn, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13? or higher, take temporary control of the figure he attacked and immediately take a turn with them. After the turn, control of the figure returns to the player that controlled it before the Mindjack.

(Here, the main aspect to tweak is the required roll. Such tweaks are also fairly dependent on where Neural Stimulant ends up, so I recommend ironing that out first.)

For my part, I don't entirely agree that an attack of 6 at range is completely untenable, but the more forgiving Neural Stimulant is, the more dangerous a possibility it is (and the more it risks making the choice involved tactically pointless--3 dice is such a huge extra amount to throw at a hero that you would almost always take the risk, possibly even when Jydel is almost dead). A boost of +2 attack brings the total to a more reasonable 5--still more than any normal ranged attack in classicscape, but restricted by possible self-damage and an unimpressive range of 4 (boostable by Laglor, but for significant investment). A clean +2 attack boost is probably what I favor more.

Movement and range boosts were both also proposed. These are both interesting in that they adjust Jydel's threat range, meaning your opponent might have to gamble on whether or not you're willing to risk self-damage. I think it's agreed that the kind of boosts these would give would be along the lines of +1 move/range, +1 attack or +2 move/range, +1 attack. My main concern here is that on many turns in the game, the attack boost will be the only one that matters, while on other turns, the move/range boost will be the only way to get value out of Jydel at all. I worry that this may not encourage interesting decision-making, particularly with the offensive boost being relatively slight.

The thing I like about this core interaction is that boosting your chance to deal damage also boosts your chance to mindjack. Do you safely throw three dice for the longshot, or do you risk damage to take a much better--but still not guaranteed--chance? In my mind, anything that distances us from that core choice weakens the design. I may be off track, though, so I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks now that we've established a clear direction.