Thread: Acquire
View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:33 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I love Acquire. I too have an old 3M version that I bought at a flea market in the mid 70's for $0.75. Excellent condition even now, though the box is getting a bit worn and the cards have yellowed a bit with age.

If anyone is looking to buy the game, I suggest you stay away from the 1995 edition. A friend of mine bought this version after playing with my wife and me. He told me that although they created a very pretty game board, the tiles in this version simply sit on the board and are easily bumped out of place. All other versions use a recessed grid board such that the tiles fit snugly in place.

I would love to get a copy of the 1999 Hasbro version but I can't justify the cost. Maybe one day it will be back in print. In the mean time, just pick up a decent copy from the 70's.

The thing I like about this game is that I still haven't figured out the best way to approach the game. Although I tend to do well when playing, I can't say that I have a set strategy. I tend to play differently each time. And the random nature of the game keeps it pretty fresh, too.

Just about everyone who has played this game has enjoyed it and wanted to play again. And that includes a lot of people who see it and ask, "Is this like Monopoly?" To which I usually reply, "Exactly, except this game is actually fun."