View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2023, 07:32 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

1. Lots of history related biographies from a retired librarian friend lately: Robert the Bruce, Oliver Cromwell, Charles II, Peter the Great and Douglas MacArthur. You learn something new every time! Having now grown into a crusty old coot with lots of life experience, I read more biographies than I used to do in general, which always helps me get perspective on life!

2. My self study Venice project, starting with a hard to get The Secret Venice of Corto Maltese: Fantastic and Hidden Itineraries by Hugo Pratt, Guido Fuga, and Lele Vianello a good pal found for me, after I failed to buy it on my trip to Venice, and it turned out seemingly not available back here in the USA (check out the International Amazon site)! I like to call that city "Disneyland For Adults." There was so much to see there in the four or five days I had years ago, but this book reveals much I didn't get to see.

Pals of the artist and creator of the graphic novel character Corto Maltese, an ex merchant seaman Indiana Jones type of adventurer around WWI (yes, I do own the obscure Corto board game by Metagot) was Hugo Pratt, who roamed his native Venice write down some of the many walks they took together there. I've also read several novels about the more well known fictional Venician detective Comissario Guido Brunetti by Donna Leon, an American who lived in that city for years, and draws unforgettable portraits of the society there. So in this way I get to revisit the amazing City by proxy! I'll be showing the pal who got me the book some travel videos of Venice I have soon as a reward, since he's never been there (his girlfriend has).