View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:08 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Engagement Strike Abilities

I don't really believe in "traps" in Heroscape. There is of course, the trap glyph, but that runs on different concepts. Either someone knows the rules, knows the abilities of the character, and knowingly incurs an Engagement Strike, or they're ignorant of the ability and are making an uninformed move. I don't believe a player should make a "mistake" simply because they don't know the rules.

When I engage a Nakita or Arkmer, I announce it to my opponent: "I'm moving next to your Nakita, roll the strike." When an opponent begins to move adjacent to my figures, if they don't make a similar announcement, I explain the rule to them before they move and give them the option to take it back.

This isn't YuGiOh. There are no "face down" cards to keep your opponent unaware of what options are available to you. All of your abilities are clearly displayed on the table in the form of your figures. Unfamiliarity with the rules isn't a skill, its just a fluke that will only happen once.

I really just have no interest in winning on technicalities. Beating someone at the top of their game is completely different from taking advantage of the rules. Beating someone at their best is a victory, anything else is just a win.