View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2017, 10:05 PM
Not Citrus

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
- Theme Test - Pass, it feels like Mesmerism to me.
- Mirror Test - Pass
- Bonding Test - Pass- Spells don't bond.
- Synergies Test - Pass - No synergies.
- Power Check - Pass - It's certainly very useful, but not super strong.
- Fun Test - Pass - It's a fun, helpful little defensive spell.
- Fun Competitive Test - Pass - Possibly a little frustrating, but it's a one time use and not exactly entirely crippling.
- Drafting Test - Pass - I'd certainly consider drafting it if I have 25 points left and have a magic user, especially if I know I'm going up against multi-attackers or another mage (or am taking Mordo ).
- Usage Test - Pass - You'll almost certainly use it at least once, even if it doesn't work (which it might not if you're trying to use it against someone like Thor.)
- Strategy Test - Pass - Here's this really useful defensive spell. You can cast it one time. Choose it wisely.

Name Of The Playtest Unit: Mesmerise

Army Test 1

Map: Underground Catacombs (no glyphs)
Armies:
Selene Gallio, Jubilee, Mesmerise (20) (450 points)
vs.
Black Bat, Batgirl (Barbara Gordon), Robin (Tim Drake) (450 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 2
Map: Quasatch Playground (No Glyphs)
Armies;
Doctor Fate, Star-Lord, Mesmerise (25) (565 points)
vs.
Selene Gallio, Wild Child, Final Ruin, Vapours of Valtorr (565 points)
Spoiler Alert!

Thoughts On The Tested Unit's Cost, Balance, & Draftibility:

It's a fun, cheap little defensive spell. There's nothing really exploitable about it when it comes to who you're using it with, so far as I can tell - it'll give a nice bonus to any mage with a counter strike style ability, but I believe only Mordo falls into that category right now, and it's specifically designed to go alongside him. Selene likes it, but that's more because she hates taking wounds rather than anything she herself can specifically do with it. What's more likely to bump its value is who you're using it against, with multi-attackers and fellow magic users being good targets for Mesmerism. Then again, there are some bad targets as well - guys with a long enough range to keep away from it (which can be countered with Vapours of Valtorr, but that's an extra 35 points on top of what you're already spending and this is still a one time use), and guys with a big enough attack that they may well inflict the one wound they're able to inflict on a magic user even when Mesmerised, such as Thor or Superman. Batgirl (Barbara) would also be a good target to use it on for much the same reasoning as what I was saying about counterstrike powers. In the end, it's a nice defensive power with a helpful interaction with Mordo and which acts as a helpful counter to a decent number of figures, but is still a one time use, has work-arounds and may not exactly work anyway. 25 Points feels about right to me - I'd pay that, though I'm not sure I'd pay much more. Bear in mind these tests were under nigh-ideal conditions for its use, and Fate was still slaughtered. I plan to move it forward at 25 once I've got Hypnotise done to go alongside it.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================