View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2019, 06:30 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: LC's Customs- Minotaur Stampede 01/02/19

I like the idea of a unique squad that bonds with a unique hero. Doesn't seem odd or out of place to me and if no one has done that before with a custom then it's just breaking new ground which is exciting after all these years. I would prefer to see it structured in such a way that the Unique Squad of Minotaurs only bonded with Unique Hero Minotaurs though rather then leaving it more open to bonding with random non-Minotaur heroes. It sells the theme of a Unique faction of Minotaurs better if they don't also bond with say a human.

I also like the visual element of the Horn blowing charge. You reveal OM1 on the heroes card to boost his stats without actually taking a turn and it looks like he's holding back his troops while watching the opponent advance. Then you reveal OM2 on the troops to bond with the Hero, he charges out 6 spaces and blows the horn to signal the charge (if the opponent moves fast enough he might get in an attack too but generally he's still going to be out of melee range), the squad charges forward 6 spaces, then the squad takes their normal turn and charges another 6 spaces past the hero to engage and attack the opponents front lines. On OM3 the hero then moves in and joins the fray. Has a nice visual element to it for the grouping.

I only question the giving up of OM1 for a stat boost after the first round of the game. Once engaged in battle, not taking a turn on OM1 is a huge loss and your squad members could all be dead by the time you get around to revealing OM2, which means you can't bond with your boosted up hero. I'd first consider putting the OM reveal required for bonding with the squad on the hero rather then the squad since the hero had more life & defense as well as other Hero protections over squad figures. I'd also drop the engaged with two figures requirement on the +1/+1 stat bonus, since you are giving up one of your player turns it should always be on and not something your opponent can turn off by taking a LEA.

Then on the squad, I'd consider dropping the def. power and just bumping up the base def. to 4. With them being a 3 figure unique squad, you would want them to have a better chance of sticking around. If they were a common squad, then that defense power with a base defense of 3 would make a lot of sense. Without the high multiples of figures that come with multiple common squads drafted though, they can't afford to have that power dictating their figure placement in an effort to try and stay alive.