View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2018, 05:34 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Johann Greybeard by DewNoHarm

Balance- Johann Greybeard is far from breaking the game. Although his Shield Bash is potentially potent, the swinginess of it combined with his vulnerable base stats keep him in line. What concerns me from a "balance" standpoint is his Valiant personality. The 4th Mass don't need any filler units; they win enough games as-is. When I think about the experience of someone barely wiping all the 4th Mass off the board and then losing to a 10 point filler, I feel really annoyed for them.

Playability- It's difficult to evaluate "playability" on a figure that rarely gets Order Markers. I struggled to find end-game scenarios where I would rather use Johann Greybeard than any of my other figures left on the board.
Powers: The powers are clear and understandable. However, they are frustrating on several levels. He eats up an X OM to activate a once-a-round power, limiting his synergy with units like Siege and Evar Scarcarver. The once-a-round nature of the power goes against his purpose as a filler figure suited for no role other than end-game cleanup. Shield Bash is a power that really wants to belong to a more potent figure. The d20 nature of it combined with his low attack value (on two turns out of every three in the end-game) makes his turns very all-or-nothing depending on how that d20 roll turns out.
Appropriate Stats: The stats work for an old man.
Visual Distinctness: The mini is distinct enough for a fantasy/medieval hero.

Creativity- Johann's powers are both new, and the way he plays is different from past figures. However, I struggled to find him a solid addition to the canon.

Theme- Johann comes through alright on theme. Shield Bash is a surprisingly potent power for a figure that is supposed to represent an older, more worn-down warrior.

--

While some of my gripes could be made about an existing figure, Otonashi, as well, they are very distinct. Otonashi does two things very consistently: 1) she is the fastest figure in the game when she starts next to a Tricky figure, letting her rush out to grab a glyph or nab a treasure glyph. 2) she can throw a hefty 4 dice against Wild figures, every turn, without rolling a d20 or burning an extra order marker. In other words, Otonashi has roles outside of cleanup, and she can fulfill those roles consistently. Johann can't say the same for himself.

Between playability issues and the balance issue of him helping 4th Mass (which would cause me to vote to not even review the unit in the first place), I vote Nay to induct Johann Greybeard in the Soldiers of Valhalla.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV