View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2022, 05:44 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Writing Lessons with TAF

Now that I am less...

...I feel like now is a good time to mention the reasoning behind why some unfinished stories get slashed for their abrupt unfinishedness while others get a pass around here. I believe the main reason is that stories like Grey and Ceasfire give the reader a looming event to latch their excitement and expectations onto (the assassination plot for the former and the peace meeting for the latter).

Because of this even though the story is unfinished your mind can kind of chart out where it would've probably gone and as such some ideas of how it could've possibly ended. And typically one's subconscious is pretty generous when it comes to these hypothetical second-halves of these stories. Stories that lack this have their abrupt halt feel more like an anticlimax, since I have no idea where the heck they were going and extensively what the point of it all was.

So I guess the moral is that if you ever plan on writing something just for fun with no preplanned narrative or any idea if it'll ever be finished, make sure to include some sort of promised event for the story to hurtle toward. That way even if you don't finish it your readers can do the rest of your work for you.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT