View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:56 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings (GenCon 2010 Response)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I'm at least glad that no one is bringing up the Valiant restriction on the 4th, because I think it's a pretty crappy argument.
Can I be the first, then?

Quote:
Our last 2 NHSD's have been won by non-Valiant 4th, and last year both of the armies in the final were non-Valiant 4th.
I'll give you that Sarah (4thx4+Raelin+Hydra) and Brownsfan82 (4thx5+Taelord) were running non-valiant 4th. But Brad's army (4thx5+Nilfheim) is not really non-valiant 4th - it's valiant 4th after a kamikaze run by Nilfheim. Unless your opponent has Zelrig, the impact of Nilfheim's non-valiance is minimized (at least in terms of defense rolls - there's still a strategic cost since you are compelled to move Nilfheim out first). The same argument applies to the Clarissimus's and Pickle4192's army from GenCon (4thx4+Braxas). (Well, Pickle's army on day 2 was non-valiant all the way since he added Raelin.)

Quote:
Also, Raelin is just as good with the 4th as she is with the 10th if you have other non-Valiant units. She's bad with the 4th as they're only non-Valiant unless you have a really solid Valiant hero (like Charos) to protect.
Provided you have no plans of losing your other non-valiant figures, I agree with this. (Although Sarah made even this look wrong at General Wars, but Raelin also has strong synergy with the Sentinels.)

Quote:
I still think the 4th are better, but the 10th are close and they're more fun.
I agree the 4th are marginally better, but I really think you need to lean on the valiant defense bonus to come to that conclusion. Absent that, bayonets and melee defense are well worth 5 points. Sure, there will be point totals where those 5 points are a big issue, but there are also point totals where 4th builds end up playing light. It cuts both ways.