View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:24 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: College searching...

Way back in the Seventies, my mom found a computer survey available by the publisher Harcourt, Brace, and Jovanovich, which allowed you to search for a school by setting the parameters yourself. Since it was all mainframe in those days, you sent in a printed questionnaire and they mailed you the results. Everything from location and male/female ratio to academic concentration. It was useful to narrow down the search for me. You may laugh to hear that I wanted to travel out from NYC, and ended up at Beloit College (Wisconsin) Class of 1973!

See if they still have an online version of this. If not, I'm sure someone has a more modern search program now available on the net, but you could take this idea and run with it.

BTW, to continue my own story, I and a pal of mine toured the school and had pretty much decided, when we stayed over night at the Beloit Hilton (not exactly a part of the Conrad Hilton chain of hotels). That night we watched the Tonight Show, where Johnny Carson was reminiscing that night with Ed MacMahon about their good old days in radio in Wisconsin. He mentioned being in a local parade in Beloit, and we decided it was an omen. And it was a great school, at least back then.