View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:58 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Dice Validity/Etiquette

Yesterday we had a friendly argument about dice roll validity. While we've always leaned towards forgiving attitudes when it comes to dice rolls (and the game in general), I do like to have a set of rules on what is valid and what should be re-rolled.

Now, this was the second gaming session in a row where we had some (friendly) argument. The first time was in allowing dice rolls after the initial roll. Let's cover this first.

The situation was that someone rolled attack dice, the defender rolled defense dice, and it was determined that not enough skulls were rolled to inflict wound/destroy figure. The next person was about to take a turn, but had not yet. It was at that point that the attacker realized through bonus that they should get another die. It was allowed, a skull was rolled, and the figure was destroyed. A couple folks in the group did not like this and figured since it was already determined that the figure should live and the next player was about to take a turn, that it shouldn't have been allowed.

This happens frequently (at least in our groups) that bonuses aren't noticed until after the dice have left your hand. We maintain a friendly and casual feel to the game (we're playing for fun after all), so we have always allowed this. If allowed, it becomes a gray area of how long afterwards is it allowed. To keep the gray area more black and white, we have allowed it up to the point that more information becomes available. Meaning, in this case, if the next player had revealed his order marker, the bonus could no longer be applied. Or in another example, if the player had multiple attacks, once dice were rolled for a subsequent attack, the previous attack could no longer have anything "fixed".

So first question is:
1) Do you allow added dice after the initial roll was made?

I'm comfortable with the way we handle that one. I think our "fixes can happen until more info is revealed" keeps it casual yet provides boundaries. I'm more curious in opinions on what happened yesterday.

Yesterday we had the case where I actually rolled one too many attack dice. The answer was simple to me, I pick up all my dice and reroll the correct number of them. The defender, however, picked up his dice. If it's a reroll, he figured, he should reroll his dice too. I argued that the attack dice and defense dice are completely disjoint of each other. My misroll has no effect on his roll, why should he reroll his dice?

As we argued about it, more things came up. What happens if a die falls to the floor or one die is crooked, should ALL dice be rerolled? We have only ever rerolled the one bad die. Should all attack dice be rerolled? Should defense dice be rerolled too?

I put on my crown and took over as house ruler, stating that any valid dice stay down on the table. Being my friends, they were probably halfways just enjoying arguing with me, but I can, at least slightly, understand their position on it. One error in dice could mean rerolling EVERYTHING, just to completely reset the table. Of course if we go by that rule, when I see my opponent drop 3/3 shields, I may just throw an extra attack die "by accident".

2) When presented with a bad die (crooked or off table), how do you handle it?
3) When rolling too many dice, how do you handle it?

Thanks for any opinions shared.

Last edited by bmon; January 30th, 2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: auto sensor didn't let me use another, yet innocent, expression for crooked