View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:48 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Mixing Super Scape With Classic Scape

As a player keeping up with both Super Scape and Classic/VC Custom Scape, I've been moving towards combining the two. In fact, I'd suggest that the failure of Official Marvelscape was precisely because it was originally declared as a Separate Universe, probably for Corporate Licensing purposes. Now this was a decision I always disagreed with from the get go, and these days we Fan Scapers could care less. (Who says, for example, that you can't combine Marvel with DC with Independents if you want to)? In fact, I once suggested that this entire site section be renamed, as I've just used 'Marvelscape' here in a sentence more often than I have in the last several years...if discontinuation of the official game be treason, let's make the most of it!

In my local group, The New York City Gang of Four, we've been moving toward combining the two in limited ways--see Kolakoski's Blog for our most recent scenario designed by Sherman Davies. Both SD and Taeblewalker were instrumental in getting me into Super Scaping, back in the dark days when I was ready to chuck out my collection of Heroclix Supers figures altogether in disgust!

I've posted many threads onsite discussing various ways of structuring Supers games to allow for this, including "Pulp Adventure" games where the Army Card maximum is 200 points, and support squads and characters can really shine. Its only natural for me to eventually to see both Supers and Classic/Customs as just more fantasy Army Cards to throw into the mix.

I've just posted THE INFINITY GAUNTLET in the Maps and Scenarios section. It represents my most current thinking about this topic--which certainly isn't original with me--in being my first UNRESTRICTED scenario to allow Supers from a number of sources as well as Classic/Customs. In this case, the very limited limitations are only to address concerns that unbalanced cards be inadvertently cleared for use.

The army build in this new IG scenario and those of others I've played is structured to balance out the use of different types and point values of characters, whether Super or Unsuper, including Super Support Characters from sidekicks to S.W.A.T. Teams to J. Jonah Jameson, (technically part of the Super category). In my own Supers Custom thread I've created the beloved characters I wanted to do myself, although mostly because at the time no one else had done them. But I also have, like many others, a regular Classic Customs thread as well to do the same for the other side of Scape.

I'd be interested to hear how other people are combining the two types of Scape, and any positive comments about breaking this "final boundary" in Scaping. To me, its just a way to extend our story telling/gaming capabilities. Of course, you can just go for mixing it all up and Let Loose The Dogs of Scape. But I prefer a more structured scenario approach, as noted in many threads I've started or posted in onsite.

Do you do it too? And how do you do it, if you do? How has it worked for you, or not? Inquiring minds want to know...

Last edited by chas; January 13th, 2014 at 02:15 PM.