View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: A Blinding Flash of the Obvious! (Starting Hex Limitatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Jandar View Post
I had never done this because the rule books always stated the standard twenty four hex start zones.
See? This is exactly the concept I think a lot of folks have. I was just looking at both sets of rules and this isn't even CLOSE to true. There are TWO RotV scenarios where both sides have 24 hex starting zones. There are ZERO SotM scenarios where both sides have 24 hex starting zones. Interestingly, many of the scenarios have MORE than 24 hexes available. However, I think the scenarios were designed with the figure limitations of the sets themselves in mind.

Twenty-four hexes is our tourney standard because it works. I'm not looking to change that with this post. I do hope that players like myself who cringe evey time they see 4x4th or 4xRats might fool around with lower hex limits in an attempt to discover how it helps or limits play. I would love any feedback I could get from players who wanted to give this a shot.

Also, one other positive of a smaller start zone is that it "increases" the size of the "playable" map. Many maps are a bit claustrophobic and this could ease that a bit by adding 12-24 intervening hexes to any given map (assuming starting hex limits of 12-18 ).

Another way of looking at this is Jexikish, SD. If you think in terms of points per hex then what happens is that you go from just over 20pph (or just a bit over what the 4th cost) to somewhere between 28-42pph (well over the price of most common squads). This forces the acquisition of some uniques. Raelin would probably be the most often picked, reducing the range to 25-39pph - still more than most of the common ranged squads.

Necro has a point that this further hurts double-spaced commons. In fact, twelve is almost certainly too low (I picked it for the shock value). Eighteen would allow 2xpretty much anything which is as many double-based squads as I've ever seen in a more serious game anyway.

~Aldin, happy to have anyone copy the way he uses his sig

ETA Thankee, GB!

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham