View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 1] UNIT NAME (Blazing Firecats) - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long eared bat View Post
What about this: At the start of the firecats turn, each firecat may attack an additional time for each previously destroyed firecat.
Changing around the turn order is also problematic, so no attacks at the start of turn. Allowing for extra normal attacks is ok, though odd that they are better off with one of them dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
I like the ideas tossed around here so far! Here's something else, just for consideration:

BLAZING FIRECATS
1 Life
6 Move
1 Range
2 Attack
2 Defense

Dying Flame
The Blazing Firecats start the game with four Flaming counters on their army card. The Blazing Firecats get +1 Attack and Defense for every Flaming counter on their card. After taking a turn with the Blazing Firecats and after the end of every round, remove a Flaming counter from their army card.

The Flame Rekindled
At the start of every round, before rolling for initiative, you may roll the d20. If you roll a ?15? or higher, you may place up to four flaming counters on this card. This card can hold a maximum of four flaming counters.

The specific mechanics could be fine tuned, but I think the general concept could be fun. The closest comparison I think would be the Anubians. Maybe too high variance, but that also feels kinda appropriate for a fire based squad.
Attack/Defense of 6 is too high. Other than that, the idea is ok, but it doesn't feel right that they simply rekindle themselves automatically. It feels like that should be a power on another character, a leader or cheerleader unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Out of turn attacks are generally avoided so they don't create weird interactions or loops. If you want to go that direction, you could model it after Dying Swipe from the Frost Giant.

For consideration, here's an early draft of powers that was partially discussed in the Discord:

FIRST STRIKE
When Order Marker 1 is revealed on the [Blazing Firecats], add 2 to their Move number and 1 extra attack die for that turn.

Borrowed from the Varkaanan Swiftfangs, it also pays homage to their Magic roots.

WATER WEAKNESS
A [Blazing Firecat] on a water space rolls 2 fewer defense dice.

Alternatively "Negative Element" from the Fire Elemental that completely eliminates their Defense on water.

LAVA RESISTANT
[Blazing Firecats] never roll for molten lava damage or lava field damage and they do not have to stop in molten lava spaces.

This one kinda feels like a must-include.
I agree that Water Weakness and Lava Resistant are almost required. Also IMHO these guys should be 7 move (or 8 without a move power), as they seem really fast. For 3rd power 1st strike seems OK, although maybe change it slightly:
Quote:
STRIKE FIRST
Each [Blazing Firecat] that did not start it's turn engaged may move 1 additional space and may roll 1 extra attack die for that turn.
Wording could be cleaned up a bit, but this to me seems more like a first strike ability.
This makes for a pretty good design. I prefer First Strike over Strike First. First Strike adds to gameplay in that it makes decision points for both players and opponents. Strike First doesn't really change up any battle tactics, it's just a bonus you get sometimes.