View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2018, 08:34 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

BEAKFACE ARCHER AND BEAKFACE ROGUE by Sir HeroScape

Raptorians have long been part of the HeroScape canon, but only came into existence through the SoV with the Beakface Sneaks. Will they remain a mini-faction or are their reinforcements strong enough to secure their place in Valhalla?

Balance
Beakface Archer - The Beakface Archer's claim to fame isn't that he is the lowest-priced range figure in the game (he is), but what he brings to the Raptorian faction. Improved Flocking is a rehash of normal Flocking, but allows the player to go Birdy with or without the Beakface Sneaks, essentially creating army possibilities with only Raptorian Heroes. The power is balanced in that the Archer himself is relatively weak and his additional ranged attack of 2 isn't a game breaker when coupled with even the powerful attacks of the Warwitch or the Rogue.

Beakface Rogue - The Beakface Rogue packs the punch for the Raptorians, able to throw down 5 dice. He is also a crossover figure as far as synergy goes, able to take turns in tandem with either the Beakface Archer or the Nottingham Brigand and works excellently in both situations. A situational attack of 5 is at home with the Dumutef Guard and the Sahuagin Raider at the point level, although the bonding with Archers gives him an edge. I'd say he's a good choice for 25 points, even as a standalone filler, but not unbalanced.

PASS

Theme

The miniature selection fits perfectly with the other Raptorians. An archer calling the shots and being the organizational hub of an army is acceptable. I have a minor problem with the Rogue being a thief-like tricky/sneaky hero. The Beakface Sneaks are mechanically the mainstay of the Raptorian army and they are already dagger-wielding sneaks. The Rogue is more of a bruiser-type with his much larger sword and attack of 5, but name and the names of his powers go more along the lines of a, well a dagger-wielding sneak. It's nothing I can't live with though, and I love seeing new factions emerge in the age of customs.

PASS

Creativity

The powers aren't really anything new, but the faction evolution that occurs through these two figures creates something that is rather unique in the game thus far. The use of a ranged figure who, when working with his sword-lugging brethren, wants to be engaged, is something I really like and I find to be different from how other figures interact.

PASS

Playability

I really struggled initially with these figures and the Beakface Sneaks and eventually decided that the Sneaks work best with themselves and the Raptorian Heroes work best with themselves, despite the possibilty of crossover-synergy (I'm sure someone else can get them to work, but I had a lot of problems with it). Once I reached this decision, the Archer and the Rogue were quite enjoyable and not difficult to use.

The Archer gives you a full activation plus either 2 movements or 1 attack, which I found to be helpful in developing an army in the beginning without being overwhelming once the fighting starts.

As previously mentioned, the Rogue plays well with his bow-wielding friends, either the Beakface Archer or the Nottingham Brigand. I would also take him as a standalone heavy-hitter with squad support.

Both units fear being alone, as their special abilities pretty much fade away, but their strength in numbers is a lot of fun and can be quite impressive.

PASS

Summary

The inclusion of these fine soldiers into Einar's ranks would enhance the canonical faction of the Raptorians as well as the game in general. I was quickly convinced by the Beakface Rogue, while the Archer needed a little more time to grow on me. Once I'd had some time with them, I really enjoyed them and they led me to purchase the entire Raptorian faction, a testament to their excellence.

I vote to induct the Beakface Archer and the Beakface Rogue into the Soldiers of Valhalla

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!