View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2019, 03:06 PM

CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker
Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

I came up with a couple ideas and bounced around between them, I thought a Dark Souls rep might be very cool, I recently watched the Terminator franchise so of course I want me some of that, but I finally landed on a character who I've enjoyed for a long time and have fond memories of playing the game he is from. Matt from Wii Sports!

Just kidding, I choose Corvo Attano from the Dishonored video game series!

I'd like to heavily base him off his play in the first Dishonored game, to keep him as simple as possible, however inspiration from the second game is of course great. Long story short, he served under his empress as Royal Protector of her and her daughter, then during a time of turmoil, his empress was assassinated in front of him and he was blamed for her death. He was rescued by a resistance of sorts, of course he joined wanting to bring down those who killed the Empress and protect her Daughter, Emily. After he joined he was visited by an extra-dimensional being called the Outsider, from whom he gained the powers innate and unique to him and his situation. He also has a varied arsenal of weaponry.

I'm thinking Corvo can be another modular character, representing how the game is played, with multiple paths and styles. Specifically his powers, as his weapons are almost always available.

His weapons:
Folding Sword (base attack, 1 range)
Pistol, Hand Crossbow (can switch between normal bolts, and sleep darts, in Scape using pistol and normal bolts would be redundant, so he could have a ranged special attack named after either, though if he does I'd go in favor of sleep darts, as those can have a unique special effect like removing order markers or disabling attack)
Elixirs capable of resoring Health and Mana. I'm in favor of not representing these on his character.
Grenades, eh. Springwire Mine, a mine that when placed, triggers when something else touches or gets near it and unleashes many razor-like wires, capable of incredible damage and leaving a body completely unrecognizable as it often decapitates and removes other limbs from the victim. Again, using both would be redundant, I'd be in favor of calling the power Springwire Razor and leaving it similar to a grenade, if these are used at all.
Spyglass, the right eye of his mask has multiple configurations, for normal view and for telescopic view, increasing his accuracy and allowing him to scope out an area. I'd like to see this represented only by a long range on any ranged attacks with pistol or crossbow that he would be given.
--------------------
Runes are found in the enviroment of the game. Made of whale bones and carved with the mark of the outsider, when collected by someone with the mark of the Outsider, they enhance the person's powers and can unlock new ones. They can also enhance "Abilities". for example Agility, Agility can be represented with a high move, which Corvo probably has already. Blood Thirsty is a trait which basically enables Glory Kills or Finishers Instant Kills, no need for representation. Vitality, increases health, no need. Shadow Kill is a trait which causes dead enemies to become dust making Corvo a lot stealthier when unlocked, no need for representation since bodies in Heroscape vanish already.

RUNES/OUTSIDER'S MARK/PLACEHOLDER 1.0
At the start of the game, before order marks are placed, you may choose 3(X) Power Glyphs (placeholder) and place them on this card, Corvo has the abilities of all Power Glyphs on this card.

Powers:
Blink: Arguably his signature power, allows him to teleport a short distance to a location in sight. I would heavily consider making this a base power on the card and lowering the number of abilities he can buy, since Corvo has this ability before all others as it is given to him directly. All those who bear the Outsider's mark gain a teleport power before anything else.
Dark Vision: Allows him to see living beings through walls and their lines of sight, see the sounds he makes, and when upgrading he can even see objects that are useful or important. Honestly don't know how to represent this in Scape.
Bend Time: When activated, he can slow down time or even stop it completely. I'm thinking he could use this as an effective double attack or double move, maybe once per round or game considering it's high mana cost in game, that would give us a little breathing room to make it powerful.
Devouring Swarm: This power allows Corvo to summon a small horde of rats which devour enemies, or at the very least distract them. Not sure what a good representation would be, but first ideas are a special attack of some sort, maybe filling the role of sleep darts and leaving crossbow as a vanilla ranged attack, or even doing away with it.
Windblast: Basically a force push, I think we all know how this would work.
Possession: At first level Possession only works on rats, obviously this sucks for Scape. When upgraded Corvo can possess humans, normally he isn't capable of doing anything aside from moving around and picking things up while possessing someone, but an exception could be made for scape. Something like you control the possessed figure for one round, move Corvo's order markers to possessed card, may only attack with [X] dice, can't defend, at end of round or if figure is destroyed/attacked, place Corvo adjacent to a space occupied or previously occupied by figure.

And that concludes my vomiting, thank you for coming to my TED talk, and I hope we can make something cool out of Corvo.

-------------------------
Join our HeroScape discord! https://discord.gg/DXRaqvn
Talk about everything heroscape, or just hang out!