View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2017, 10:10 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Leaf_It's Maps, and Scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
It is surprising to me that you literally can't ever have it start on swamp water though it's base is made of swamp water. I just don't get this. Even Draugur made more sense to change than mine, because it was being placed on ice. You can't place the dang thing on the terrain it's thematically supposed to be on in the first place. I'm sorry but this is so incredibly stupid in my eyes. Of any criticism, this one is the one that actually makes me kind of mad. It's just so dumb. It's supposed to be on swamp water. If you can't place it on swamp water, then why is it's base made of swamp water, and not swamp grass? I would concede this point if the base was made of swamp grass, but it's literally swamp water, and you can even place it on swamp water. This is the biggest thematic break of anything I've ever seen in Heroscape. I don't care if this map is never used in a tournament because of this, I just find this issue so dumb that I really can't bring myself to care enough to fix it. I realize my response probably looks bad, but this is just how I feel about it. The spirit of the rules wasn't meant for this, even if the rules don't technically allow it. Again I'm sorry, but this is just a massively nit-picky thing in my book.
Thought I'd chime in on this Hive issue. The thing isn't the theme, it's the rules. In the rulebook it says that the Hive must be able to be placed on its base, on regular tiles, with no immediate overhang under the base. When playing a tournament map, you shouldn't have to change the map in order to accommodate the rules, and the official rules should be followed at all times.

This also goes in conjunction with the rule that if a figure can't fit on a spot on the map, then it can't go there. If the Hive can't be placed normally somewhere in the Start Zone, then it can't go there, and technically the player would be forced to drop it from their army. That's the strict version of it, and that's how the BoV required things.

That said, the BoV didn't allow uncapped wall sections, which are also against the rules. In the ARV, we've been allowing those. For the Hive, we'll be reviewing this map individually, and I don't think that that alone would make or break your map since we already allowed it in, but going forward we plan on being more strict on the ruling.

Yes, it's a little limiting, and at time might be a slight aesthetic break. But so are most balance issues.
I've been thinking about this comparison over the last couple days. Why is it more acceptable to use uncapped towers than it is to have a map that doesn't accommodate the Hive? Overall, I think it has to do with who is doing the rule breaking.

If you build a map with uncapped towers, it is the map maker who is breaking the rules. When a tournament director selects a map with uncapped towers for a tournament, people understand that the map is technically breaking the rules, but it is of no consequence to the players. They play as normal.

But with this case, the person breaking the rules is different. The map builder themself is not breaking any rules, but it's the person who is playing on the map that technically has to break the rules to place their Hive on top of the Swamp. It's a subtle distinction, but I think that for a tournament setting you wouldn't want to put a player in the position of having to break the rules or alter the map in any way.
That is an excellent point that I had never crossed my mind. Well put.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.