View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2018, 01:12 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Orc's Tips to Improve Fast

This is an interesting discussion. Part of me agrees and disagrees with the "dice decide the game" argument. I probably agree too much with the dice can decide the game only because there are plenty of times I would rather just blame the dice (because it's all chance right?) rather than admit my own tactical failures. But, a valid argument that the dice CAN clearly decide games is that Heroscape IS NOT Chess. Any way you cut it, it just isn't. There are Chess elements in the strategies used and the way you can "trap" your opponent into some hard decisions, but at the end of the day, the dice still decide the fate of the interactions between the opponents. Chess is a game of PURE calculation and strategy 100%. In fact, there are even very clearly RIGHT and WRONG decisions you can make because it is a game designed almost with a "science" and a certain methodical-ness to it. Heroscape is NOT the same. While there are some poorer tactical decisions that can be made in Heroscape, there are no WRONG decisions imo because the game of chance could always swing in your favor. I do agree though that the best and most successful players will put themselves in the best situation where the dice will be optimized in your favor OR where if the dice fail you, your strategy and tactics are not ruined. One of the most important questions you can ask yourself in a game of heroscape is "How bad would it be if I fail this roll [or this move][or this...]?" Planning for if your plans don't succeed helps mitigate the damage done when the dice don't go your way, and helps you remain in a strong position. I truly believe the words of a dear friend who has said, "No amount of strategy can save you if the dice turn against you." When all that is set and done, there is some hard core truth to that. Kite all you want, set a defensive wall, put yourself behind a screen but if your dice fail you, your gunna lose that game. That said, you're less likely too because you've made the right strategic move to prevent engagements or attacks etc, but dice can still do you in. Another quote i'll share is one of my own, and that's, "You've never truly played Heroscape until you've lost a tournament game to an 8yr old." Now, I consider myself a pretty competitive player (winning 65-75% of my tournament games)...but even my skill and strategy can't save a game where a pumped up 8yr old, against all odds, can walk all over me in a game where he made extreme tactical blunders, but the dice were hot and my dice were cold. At such a young age, they have a simple strategy, go kill something and sometimes that works all else aside. So, while I do agree the "better" players will use position and tactics to optimize dice rolls for the best CHANCE of success, I disagree with the sentiment that only 1% of games are decided by dice. Any game with dice is a game of CHANCE, and unfortunately that means that sometimes against all odds, things will happen that shouldn't and it's not always because someone made a tactical error. I think that's why this game has lasted for so long is because a dad and his young boys or a joe off the street can come in, play a game with little or no experience and still succeed or beat players who're more experienced. Chess doesn't offer you that luxury. Heroscape does.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22