View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
It was a great weekend. Played X-Wing, Galaxy Trucker, Quarriors, Heroscape Chess, and a few fillers--and introduced my kids to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

My youngest is 8 now and I think the timing was perfect. It was fun to watch them watching it. My youngest would look over at me every so often with a "Did that really just happen?" look that was priceless. My older son was laughing almost non-stop. And my daughter (15) tried really hard to act like she was too cool for the movie, but clearly loved it.

I popped on YouTube and showed them the Dead Parrot routine to get them a sense of Monty Python--that definitely helped. They were perfectly prepared for all the Dentist opening scenes and all the moose business in the opening credits.

And best of all now I can say, "It's just a flesh wound"--and they actually get it.

For X-Wing, my son made up a fun Blow Up the Planet scenario, Galaxy Trucker was a romp (with my wife and daughter having their first experience with Space Billiards!), all in all some great times this weekend.
Heroscape Chess??? Please tell me more! Or maybe there's a missing comma, and you're describing two games.

When I introduced my nephews to Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I didn't think they'd want to watch the whole movie. So I just showed them the Black Knight sketch. They laughed, so I skimmed ahead to the rabbit. Then another part. Then another. So they didn't watch it front-to-back at first, but in scattered pieces. Then I started the film from the beginning and we watched the entire movie. Yeah, I'm weird.

My dad and I played Warfighter, which is a new co-op game from DVG games. You're special forces units attempting to battle either drug cartels (easy mode), Middle Eastern insurgents (medium mode), or Middle Eastern military units (kiss your butt goodbye mode). Being co-op, you could also play solo (DVG makes some excellent solo games).

We went after the Drug Boss. The game begins by equipping our soldiers with weapons, equipment, and special abilities. The mission you choose determines the number of resource points you can spend as well as the time limit (number of turns in the game). You then draw up to your health in action cards. Each soldier gets 2 actions per turn, which you can use to move, attack, reload an out-of-ammo weapon, play of certain action cards requiring an action, and discarding/drawing up to health. That latter action is unusual. In most games, you always replenish your hand at the end of your turn. Here, you have to deliberately spend an action to do this.

Some cards require you to discard cards from your hand in order to play them. Moving into a new location also requires discarding cards if the entrance cost exceeds your movement rating.

Locations other than the final objective aren't placed on the board at the beginning of the game. Instead, you have to draw it from the action deck into your hand and play it. Once you do, you draw a number of enemy cards. This will vary based on the location and size of your force. This is a way of scaling the game for more players or more costly forces. You try to take down the enemy units, and they'll have a phase where they'll advance towards their target (one of your guys determined by a random chit draw) or attack their target.

The game comes with dice shaped like bullets. There are six sided and ten sided bullet dice. These are pretty neat, but I find they tend to roll a pretty long distance before coming to a stop (or dropping on the floor).

The co-op aspect lets you help each other and take your actions in any order you agree.

Our final result against the cartel boss: drugs win! Our time ran out before we could take him down.