View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: What's for dinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
I know this post has no real insight into anything, but oh well.

Oh, and everything is better with bacon!
Now that's a contradiction.

I enjoy eating meat but I do worry about the ethical issues. If we all ate lower down the food chain, on average, that would be for the good on many fronts from personal health to, yes, peak oil and global warming. However, I don't have a problem with the concept of killing of animals for food (you can read about my own ventures into this here). I do have a problem with a lot of the aspects of industrial animal production though. Ethically (and from a taste perspective) I'd rather eat a local happy chicken than tofu flown in from the other side of the world.

If I could only eat the meat of one animal (what sort of world am I living in where I have to make such a choice? ) it might well be pig. It's so versatile. Bacon, roast belly pork with crackling, chinese-style trotters, barbecued ribs, a great big ham to nibble on for days... The other contender is cow, simply for the outright quality of fewer dishes: a great steak and the perfect roast. Oxtail stew is pretty good too. And other stews, especially one my Grandmother makes with shin. And burgers. Hmmm, it's a tricky one.

Edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart101 View Post
Well, my family lives in the sticks, so we have a HUGE garden with potatoes, lettuce, strawberries, rhubarb, and tons of the stuff I cant remeber.
Neat. We've lived where we do now, also out in the sticks, for a couple of years. Our third attempt at a vegetable garden is underway. The first year was not great (we were starting in June from lawn) but last year we got some good stuff: beans, peas, as much squash as we could eat. We're trying potatoes for the first time this year, and we've also put in some raspberries, blueberries, apples and pears. Deer have eaten almost all the leaves from the fruit trees though.