View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2021, 02:44 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Remove one unrevealed Order Marker at random?

I'm a bit surprised this topic blew up as it seems so esoteric to me.

I voted #6, which honestly seems like the only reasonable option to me. Like, do whatever you like. Obviously.

If I was running a live event and someone actually called me over to judge on this issue, I'd rule #3; i.e. the owner is allowed to shuffle the OMs blindly before the other player chooses one to remove. This seems like, far and away, the more common interpretation of "random"; i.e. that it's not supposed to be a skill contest. #1 is also pure random and would be an acceptable alternative, of course; I just wouldn't rule that way because it seems like it would take longer.

I'm surprised the "official" Gencon ruling would be #5 as this feels like the most inherently cut-throat approach. Granted, it's really not a big deal.

That said, if people want to play it as some sort of mini-game where the one with the power tries to guess their opponent's placement patterns, and both players are enjoying that (or simply don't care) then hey, that can be fun. Online we have an "apply random numbers to the OMs" feature for these powers (so I can say "I'll remove OM 2754"), but @Dysole likes to name her OMs using different puns instead. When I played Ozymandias against her once this made for a very fun guessing game, where I had to try to guess which pun she would put on a numbered OM and which on OM X.