View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:34 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Story Behind Your Username/Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
USERNAME. Back in high school, I created an encryption algorithm from scratch. This was before I understood how bad of an idea such a thing was. I had named one of the functions xor_lof, "xor" being the logical operator known as "exclusive or" and "lof" being some sort of abbreviation for what the function acted on; I don't remember the details.

I reflected on how similar the function name was Zorlof, the name of a word processor I had used for the TRS-80 series of computers:

After doing my best to ensure that "xorlof" was (at the time) globally unique, including fairly extensive searches of FidoNet, Veronica, Archie, and WAIS, I started using it (and my younger brother decided to start using Zorlof...grrr!) Notice there were no web searches because at the time the web was pretty tiny. WebCrawler might have been around, but I don't remember using it for this most important task. Also, I don't think I had good, comprehensive Usenet access at the time, but even if I did, I don't think there would have been a good way to search the current group of messages.

IMAGE. I use various Smurfs for my avatar image because they're Smurfy. Duh!
The mystery that has dominated my thoughts for the last year has been solved! Hallelujah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgsbane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgsbane View Post
I got my user name from a lonely little Roman archer, my last miniature on the board. He killed a two life Krug, and a legend was born. When I decided to make my user name, I decided to honor him. Orgersbane. One misspelling later, and you get orgsbane! Close enough

My avatar is Sirus fighting a dragon, from the incredibly awesome Infinity Blade games. Also, the dragon is wearing a santa hat cause I'm to lazy to change. It'll work out in my favor soon enough!
That's funny, I always thought that you meant it to be "orgsbane" in reference to an "org," which is a monster that made it's appearance in Edition 2 of D&D.

~JS
Yeaaaah. It was a clever and obscure reference. Cause I'm cool like that good catch
Haha! Too late to cover it up. Your secret is out.

~JS