View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Lazy Orang's Classic Customs - Vlad, Son of the Dragon

“There were large stakes there on which, as it was said, about twenty thousand men, women, and children had been spitted, quite a sight for the Turks and the sultan himself. The sultan was seized with amazement and said that it was not possible to deprive of his country a man who had done such great deeds, who had such a diabolical understanding of how to govern his realm and its people. And he said that a man who had done such things was worth much.”
— Laonikos Chalkokondyles: The Histories

Pseudo-seasonal update today - Vlad the Impaler and the Wallachian Infantry.

Vlad was actually the very first figure I ever designed and playtested - though he's gone through some major revisions from the character I first passed. The old Fear Aura was much more complicated with more modifiers than you'd ever find on an official card, he was a dual-classed Warlord/Darklord rather than a Champion/Darklord (a change I'll explain later), he had a 'Harsh Example' power allowing you to execute one of your men for a temporary stat boosting aura, which was cut due to never being used, and Fanatical Demagoguery used to change the personality of Uniques rather than squads, just like Parmenio - he was designed before the Death Knights came out, and it took me about five seconds to realise I'd created someone who could give Major Q9 bonding and decide it was a bad idea. I think whipping up the masses feels more like demagoguery anyway....

This year, while looking over Warlord Games for figures for historical customs (I love history, and I hope to be able to put a lot more historical figures up here in future), I stumbled across these guys - and, knowing I already had Vlad, giving him some Wallachian troops to command was just too tempting to pass up (it's also what encouraged me to give Vlad a round of reworking). I changed Vlad's secondary class from Warlord to Champion (I was happy to give up Roman bonding, but not bonding with the Wolves of Badru - Vlad plus Wolves is a fun and thematic little army, even if it's not too strong) and gave them Champion of Evil Bonding off @IshMEL 's Sevestra Thune, a fun little character I picked up last year, since I reckoned that Sir Hawthorne could use another, more thematic bonding option and these guys would fit perfectly. I also reworked the initial concept of Harsh Example into a fairly different power and gave it to them, allowing them to hit pretty hard for a 4-man bonding squad, but at the cost of having to execute your own men - and, after a little testing and some painting of the Wallachians, I had a fun and thematic little faction.

Custom Set Ten: Vlad, Son of the Dragon
Spoiler Alert!

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; March 30th, 2018 at 04:03 PM.