View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: C3G Playtesting Strategies, Builds and Tips Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Personally, I would love to have a list of the 'strongest competitive builds' for future playtesting.
That way I can theory-scape out if a new figure would enhance them further and test it if need be.
Also if something new can defeat a strong build, there may be an issue.
I think it's often less "X + Y + Z" and more "X type + Y type + Z type". I tend to have more favorite units or types of units than actual builds, I just combine units to get the build or points I need for that test.

For example: if I test a unit that can boost attacks, I test it with units that have multiple attacks, as you'll get the most when played with those units. Depending on the type of boost, Range is often easier to boost as well as generally stronger. So I would test this unit with Cable or Deadpool. If the power adds to the dice you're rolling, it's good to test them with a unit like Merlyn whose Deadly Shot gets much more powerful the more dice you're rolling.

Units that can carry are a big one, as they allow you to facilitate pods much easier. John Stewart is my favorite for pods, but Hawkeye (II) is really nice if it's just one figure you want to give a speed boost to. Carriers are also great for defensive and passive units that you want to get into the battle, but who don't give you a lot of firepower on their activation. This way you can move someone around without feeling like you've wasted an OM.

Another big thing to look for when testing is overlap with similar powers. Bizarro, for example, is good on his own, but becomes downright nasty when played in combination with Jocasta or Valkyrie. Some of the strongest builds come from overlaying units like these with someone like Mastermind, who can force your opponent to come to you, and War Machine, who punishes them when they do move close. With one of these builds, you can turn a powerful but fragile offensive unit into a powerhouse.

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"

Last edited by TrollBrute; July 17th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.