View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
I use artist acrylic paints (you can find them at most Walmarts or craft stores). Also, get yourself several sizes of small brushes.

I make sure the figure is clean, but I don't remove the existing paint (I know some do). Start with the base color and work up to the highlights, and then add a wash for an overall "dirty/shadow" look. For example, on the Mimring repaint to Grendel (see picture to left), I painted the whole body red first, then came back and did the underside of the neck/belly with a yellow (it may take two coats of paint), then did the black horns, claws, point of tail, teeth, and eyes, and then a wash with black (wash is a very watered down layer of paint applied over every thing) and used paper towels to blot up the black wash (these leaves black in the areas between the scales, etc., but removes it from the high points). As a final step, I came back with a "bry brush" (brush with no water and very little paint on it) and did spots with black to make him look sooty.