View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I agree with Scape Scrub. I think order marker management is a lot of what makes Heroscape what it is. I tried the Basic Game one time, and I nearly banged my head against the table. (Although that was probably more due to the fact that there's never a reason to take a turn with anything but Grimnak than the lack of order markers.) I've also never played larger than a 650 point army for any player. Playing a 2000-point game is what makes a game take a long time-it's not the order markers' faults.

I don't really understand the appeal of avoiding using order markers, or changing how many each player has. If you double the number of order markers that both sides have, I don't see how it shortens the length of the turns at all. Each side is still moving the same number of times. 3 and an X seems like a rather astute design choice to me.

If you have both sides move their entire armies at once, or something similar to that, it royally screws up the balance of a lot of units and their point costs. Common units, bonding units, Kato, Deathreavers, and many others would lose a lot of their utility, all in the name of simplifying an already simple game.

But then again, I'm one of those weird people who only has two master sets (1 RotV and 1 SotM now), 1TT, 1 FotA, and 1 RttFF terrain-wise and eagerly awaits new units.

Sorry if I sounded a bit snarky. Should I not have put this in the official units thread? I meant to classify the official units from a slightly different perspective and possibly help people understand a less obvious sort of synergy.

But I guess that's what I love about Heroscape after all. It's that Theats and I can both pick it up and enjoy it in our own way. You can pick and choose, and spend as much or as little as you like. I saw some kids in a Wal-mart the other day excited over the Marvel boxed set. I don't plan to buy it myself, but if it helps keep standard expansions coming out for the next 5 years, I'm all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)