View Single Post
Old November 21st, 2018, 04:42 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Specters of Aldorn by Leaf_It

I've been testing the Specters for a few weeks and have found them really enjoyable. They compare nicely to other 4-man non-bonders (Gnids most specifically).

2 attack shows nice restraint, 3 defense looks high but is lower than the Shades.

Levitation is thematic and appropriate, and I have had a whole lot of fun zipping my Specters across the board and through screens, trying to maximize attacks and pass-throughs.

I was re-reading the card today and found a sticking point that I really can't get past, though, and I apologize for not catching this earlier.

The class is Specter, and that doesn't fit with how Undead have classes in Heroscape. The Zombies are Savages, the Shades are Devourers, the Skeletons of Annellintia are Warriors, the Tomb Skeletons (and Archers) are Guards, Crpyt Guardians are Guards.

Death Knights of Valkrill have the class of Death Knights, but that seems to me to be more of a description of the Knight-ness than their Undead-ness. The thralls all have Thrall as a class, but that is again a description of how they serve Nicholas, rather than an Undead subspecies. Notice that the Preyblood doesn't have Wight as a class, and the Darkprowl doesn't have Gravehound as a class.

While many cards are named after their class (Goblin Cutters, Aubrien Archers, Horned Skull Brutes, lots of Marro squads), those classes still describe what the unit does. "Specter" just means something that is seen.

I'd suggest you either go for something basic like Hunter, or maybe invent something Arctorus-y like Phaser.

I do think the Specters of Aldorn are well-designed, unique, and thematic, and I had come most of the way to deciding on a positive vote, but I can't get past this quibble.

I vote to induct the Specters of Aldorn into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

I hope the Specters are resubmitted with a new class so I can give them the full review they deserve.
@Scytale @capsocrates @Soundwarp SG-1 @BiggaBullfrog
Is this a sticking point for the rest of you? If I need to resumbit for this reason alone, I'd like to know now, so that I can get it back into playtesting as soon as possible.