View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2020, 12:26 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
That change is also fine with me; I'm wary of setting a precedent for making changes of this nature after a unit has been submitted. But where it changes none of the interactions as of testing time I think this should be fine.
Aye, and there is additional concerns since it has already passed UF Review. Though I rather doubt anyone would change their opinion based on this change.
Yeah, UF Review is my primary concern with the change. It's relatively minor (given that there are no currently accepted gameplay changes) and while I doubt that it would've flipped any votes, it's still a change that wasn't on the card originally. To my knowledge, most changes to SoV units after submission have typically been initiated by C3V rather than by SoV to account for additional units down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Boooo to the idea of turning everything into a faction.
Touching on this, I do agree with your sentiment that not everything needs to be a faction (and I conjecture also that making factions just to be factions is bad, which I would wholeheartedly agree with).

I think that it's important to note that the Yokai units were being designed to take advantage of unique gameplay and on their own merit as a new army type, rather than merely for the sake of creating another faction or checking off a box. I suppose that it would be possible to cut out Masha altogether and use a new species, but the units at their heart are designed to thematically portray Yokai, and letting Masha join in on the shapeshifting fun makes more sense than trying to design around him (and it gives them a new tool to mess around with, even if they still aren't competitive like traditional factions).

It would be possible to limit the Yokai to standalone designs like the Lawmen or Xao Lin-less monks (and it still is to a certain extent), but Seimei was actually the starting point for the non-Masha Yokai designs, rather than a later addition to turn disparate units into a faction. It's a top-down approach that resulted in some very different designs, evident immediately when just looking at the way that Kincho was designed in relation to Seimei.

Quote:
I, also, don't love the idea of making changes after a card is submitted, especially after it's passed UFR and is in the testing process. Like the others, I'm fine with this change as it's really not changing much (though I personally like it less because why does everything have to be a faction), but it may be prudent to also announce the suggested change in its UFR thread and seek thoughts from the C3V members who voted on it there to get their thoughts on it as well.
I have no qualms with bringing up this discussion (or linking to here) in the UFR thread if it'll garner more attention from C3V. I absolutely want to get their input before any changes are made.