View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM

pinche_guey knows what's in an order marker pinche_guey knows what's in an order marker
Re: Race for the presidency political discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I do have one question though.

How many of the experimental procedures which most insurance companies try not to cover would even be an option in G.B. or Canada? Would they say, "Sorry, your cancer is incurable."

I also think it's funny how some people against improving our healthcare system turn that 16-20% GNP figure around and say, "It's 20% of our economy! Do you really want the government in charge of that?"
Most of the experimental therapies that are provided here are funded by the drug companies that are interested in marketing them. The drugs are donated by the companies for the research, while many of the doctors at Universities usually provide the service. They are, much like in some countries, paid on salary. One can debate how much doctors should make, but I assure you that it makes up only a small amount of the total cost. I personally, believe some doctors make less than they should (primary care), while others are reimbursed genorously (surgeons, anethesiologists). There is good reason to question the "eat what you kill" earning model as it does not necessarily reward those who benefit others or society most.

As for the role of drug companies and increasing cost . . . They are definately a significant contributor. The earnings are used for research, marketing, and profit. The right amount of advertising and profit is (reasonably) debatable. Exerimental therapy is definately available in other developed nations (I cannot vouch for how accessible).

As for accidents, alcohol, and tobacco. We are not much different than most developed nations. Alcoholism is everywhere, but we seem to be more willing to point fingers at it (an instructor of mine from Ireland once said someone who drinks five drinks a day was not a heavy drinker). Car accidents generally follow the driving per capita except in South Asia where your chance of dying this way is exponentially higher. We are obviously not alone in the case of smokers either. Remember that the tobacco companies (and medical community) once encouraged smoking for health. I'm sure that most of us have family members (or ourselves) that have fallen victim to the draw of tobacco.

By the way, I think volunteering is an often unappreciated way to help your fellow man out. It is, more often than not, insufficient to address need. Anyone who has volunteered is no doubt aware of this.

Last edited by pinche_guey; November 9th, 2008 at 08:25 PM.