View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2015, 10:01 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
"What's in an Order Marker?" - C3G Style

Well met!

Jexik laid out a loose system for assigning roles to units in Classic Scape. The categories are:

Bread & Butter - Referring primarily to squads in Classic, in herocentric C3G, Menacers often fill this role. In my armies, I tend to use cheaper Sharks, and use the extra points for additional Sharks, and/or Cheerleaders, rather than Menacers.

Cheerleaders - Units with auras requiring few if any OMs. Weather Wizard and Diablo are good examples.

Defenders - Similar to Cheerleaders, but "you want them to draw fire.". What I would call "anvils." In Classic, cheap, high defense, units. Off hand, I can't think of any in C3G.

Sharks - Similar to Bread & Butter, but needing constant OMs to survive. In C3G, these are mostly self healers like Wolverine.

Menacers - Similar to Sharks, but can take damage too. What I call "thugs.". Thor and Hulk are examples. I rarely field them, but, in our next game, I'll be fielding Omega Red, who, if not a Menacer, is certainly a Shark.

Cleanup - "Not enough attacks to be useful early on because they'd be taken out by squads . . . " I've never been comfortable with this category. I'm not sure what C3G units qualify.

Niche - Units that have interesting powers, are not competitive in general, but may be useful in special circumstances. Kee-Mo-Shi in Classic, you name it in C3G.

In the Gang's last meeting, I fielded Cheerleaders (Weather Wizard and Diablo), a Cheerleader/Controller (Baron Zemo), shooters with multi-hex attacks (Judge Dredd and Rocket Raccoon (also a Cheerleader), and two minor Sharks (Electra and Captain Kei). In our next game, I retain Captain Kei, and field a Cheerleader with Niche tendencies (Jean Grey), Shark/Menacer Omege Red, and my Bread & Butter (Controller/Sniper) guy, Cable. Or is he Cleanup? Many units fill multiple roles, some in bizarre combinations that defy simple labels.

In C3G, OM efficiency is more important than anything else. Units should have particular roles, and passive powers are golden.

I expect that these can be codified much better for C3G than I have done.

Last edited by kolakoski; August 28th, 2015 at 10:22 PM.