View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2020, 06:50 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Games Will You Be Purchasing?

While playing Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare, a pal and I tried out the BGG fan made Pacifica Campaign, which recreates in space the four WWII major carrier battles in the Pacific theater, where my Dad served. Doing research on this I discovered Fires of Midway (2010; Clash of Arms), which I've now ordered at The Compleat Strategist, the famous FLGS here in NYC, named after a book on strategy which was famous when the store opened back in the Seventies. Back then I attended their opening wine and cheese party. So I still like to give them some business.

The Midway game has cards instead of a board, although it is not a 'card game' in the standard sense. It got great reviews and a pal likes it, so I went for it. It should be in in a week or so.

Other recent things I picked up are Princes of the Renaissance (Martin Wallace, redone) with its KS extras from the Board Game Geek Store, and the expansion to Merchants and Marauders (Seas of Glory). I've preordered other expansions: Leaders and Legends for Hellenica: Story of Greece along with the first game mat I've every purchased for that game, and Rurk: Stone and Blade, for Rurik: Dawn of Kiev. The designer of Hellenica is now working on Spring & Autumn: The Story of China. I'm very interested, as there is still no other dudes on a map 4x type of thing on China at all! Two Euros I have on that nation are Three Kingdoms Redux, probably the best three player Euro ever made, and Emperor's Choice, another fun Euro.

I also have Risk Europe, which is great fun, and hardly Risk at all. Another Risk variant is Spheres of Influence, which the independent designer is holding off on. He wants to do a Kickstarter, but is waiting now to evaluate our new Pandemic economic background!

Just got Commands & Colors Tricorne: Jacobite Rising (Compass Games). This relatively expensive design on a rather obscure topic turns out to be a wonderful addition to the C&C series; you can see my many threads on it on its BGG forum, including a session report on each of the 15 scenarios; I've done over half of them so far.

Other things on the Game Event Horizon include more Commands &Colors: Samurai Battles, Naapoleonics Le Grand Battles, Early Ancients/Chariot Warfare, Seven Years War, an unnamed Tricorne expansion, and a Great War expansion.

Also coming Ankh: Gods of Egypt by Eric M. Lang. He has now stepped down as CMONs Head of Game Development, to go freelance again, but with a number of CMON designs to be published. He is now calling his Myth Trilogy, all of which I have or on order, the "Myth Collection," and has announced a sequel to its first title, Blood Rage.

I stopped playing the old style hex and counter wargames a long time ago, but have ordered one old classic I never owned and never played more than once, which was one of the best of them, being first published by its designer and then taken up by Avalon Hill: The Russian Campaign. I played the Russians, and since the Germans go wild at first, never got my revenge on them later in WWII!

DECEMBER should be amazing game wise this year, as I have three huge Kickstarters due then, if the dam don't bust (the Three Gorges Dam in China, that is).

The Great Wall (Awakened Realms) This will be my first design by this increasingly popular company; I have played three of their older games a pal owns.

Empire of the Stars (Crosscut Games) A Kickstarter only product, its a redo of designer Adam West (no, he's not Batman) Galactic Emperor, which I have and enjoy. It used to known as "Twilight Imperium Light."

Titans (Go On Board) This is a light wargame with a few fantasy elements, about the 17th Century East European Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth. There's a very long wikipedia article on it if you have never heard of it. I've read, seen a Russian/Polish DVD TV series on, and played a miniatures game of, With Fire and Sword, the Polish national epic, and adventure novel set in these obscure (to us) times. The other nations are Russia, Sweden, Turkey, and the Holy Roman Empire (aka Hapsburg Austria).

You can look up any of these on Kickstarter or BGG, I think all are still available for Preorder! Have fun.

Last edited by chas; April 6th, 2021 at 09:54 AM.