View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:58 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Infinity Gauntlet

Well met!

The Gang of Four is playing chas'
The Infinity Gauntlet on April 9th. This will be a Supers game, with units draftable from all of C3G, all of Sherman Davies' Supers, and chas' Quickscan Master Lists, which contain over 650 cards, most of which chas claims to have played at least once! From The Infinity Gauntlet:

This will be my very first "UNRESTRICTED" supers scenario, in that it not only mixes Supers with Classic/Custom Scape, but also allows supers from various sources. The idea is not that players have to flip through thousands of cards to make the best possible unit selections (although they can), but to be able to play some of their favorites by using cards available from the site or from my own very large private collection (see Chas Quickscan Master Lists in Custom Comic Creations).

I'm balancing this by having a known major villain the other (2-4) players can build against, and structuring the teams to limited guidelines.

Each army totals 2,000 points in 24 spaces. The Thanos player may only use Evil figures. "Evil" is defined as Supervillains or Classic/VC army cards working for Utgar or Valkrill. (There are a few cards that I allow either side to use, such as Civilians, Bad Cops, and J. Jonah Jameson).

All other players may use both Good and Evil figures. Each army may be composed of one A Character (351-500 points), one B Character (241-350 points) three C Characters (201-240 points) and the rest D Characters (Up to 200 points). 'Characters' while usually Unique Heroes, may also be any type of army cards such as Uncommon or Common Heroes or Unique or Common Squads, as usual. Note that these are maximum strengths; you can take more characters/cards of lesser point values if you like. Supers can come from the DC, Marvel or other "Universes."

Supers: Superheroes, supervillains and their related support figures may be drawn from three sources:

1. C3G Customs
2. Sherman Davies Customs
3. The Chas Quickscan Master Lists (two lists; Heroes and Villains) These lists include all Chas customs, and also duplicate many C3G and Sherman Davies customs, as well as those from many independent designers; all have been approved as reasonably play balanced and costed (by Chas).

Classic Heroscape: All Classic and VC custom characters are eligible.

chas, having already constructed his army,suggested that we submit our teams for his approval early, as no duplicate heroes would be permitted, and to ensure that they were built according to the scenario's conditions. As a result, Taeblewalker and I have already submitted our armies.
As chas' Quickscan Master Lists contain no links, I thought it safe to use A - Z Of Custom Created SuperHeroes (Comics, Cartoons, etc.). I was mistaken. chas emailed me, and told me I had chosen 2 GreyOwl cards, which he generally considers to be too strong or under priced to mix with C3G, etc.. I also chose a Troll Warrior card with which chas was unfamiliar. Rather than have me rebuild (constructing my army had taken most of a day ), chas determined that the cards I had chosen were not egregiously overpowered, and chose to allow my army, which appears in the spoiler below.
Spoiler Alert!

The potential for game breaking unbalance, not just with my army, but in general, was a real concern to me, given that Supers cards are generally designed to be compatible with only their own creators', and/or, in many cases, C3G's, cards. But I concluded that the political aspects of this particular game, where chas' army is advantaged from the get-go by possession of the Infinity Gauntlet, and that it is a 4-Player Free-For-All (FFA), amply mitigate this issue. In fact, I figure that a FFA format is the format for mixing Supers from different designers in a single game for just this reason.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 23rd, 2014 at 01:25 PM.