View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Splash!

Spoiler Alert!

Bread AND Butter

Spoiler Alert!
I think there's a bit of a continuum between these two styles, at least given the way I think about them. When I think about the armies I make that you're classing as "Bread AND Butter", I'm thinking not just as "melee and range", but more as "let me have figures with interacting roles such that there are at least two places to put OMs during the meat of the game, and force the player to make good decisions on pingponging between the two". Which, granted, you summarized nicely in your description. But I think this sort of thinking is similar (not the same, but similar) to the splash concept of "add complexity to the build by forcing the player to manage a bunch of small pieces".

Really, when you compare Q23's 2014 army or even vegiedad's 2017 army to my 2016 army, the main difference is that my ranged squad has multiples. It's really not night and day. When you look at something like Q23's 2017 or 2018 builds there's additional stuff thrown in that doesn't have as clear a role; it's more adding complexity for the sake of making it harder to pilot. But, as I said at the start, it's a continuum.

I guess you could even extend it past that, and say there's a spectrum from "Uniques Mostly" to "Bread AND Butter", with "Splash" in the middle.
Some thoughts:
1. Major Q23's 2014 is not a splash army. I like it and still talk about it because it was the first time I saw 1x Mezzos used in a major tournament, but that does not make it a splash army.

2. Vegie is missing the 1st true splash armies: Nathan's and William's 2015 main event armies.

Q23:
2x Mezzos
1x Rats
Frost Giant
Heirloom
Marro Warriors
Otonashi

Can't remember the specifics of Nathan's but I believe it involved 1x Knights of Weston, Alastair, Finn, Tarn?

3. The way we generally think about Splash armies is no more than 150 points or 9 figures of anything.

4. Just because an army fits this definition doesn't make it Splash. A true Splash army imo fills in at least 3-4 of the main roles in a Splash army. Sounds like I should write and post my "How to Build a Splash Army" guide sometime...

5. Will's 2017 army has each figure in a different role.
2017:
3x Drones (cheap, cost efficient, fast, good board control, decent damage output)
Raelin (Raelin, excellent board control)
1x Mezzos (range, anti-common, great board control)
Alastair (bruiser)
1x Rats (screen, great board control)

6. Will's 2018 army has redundancy as it is designed to be defensive yet still possess offensive threats. I'd actually classify it as a Toolbox army (along with my 2015 and 2018 main event armies).
2018:
2x Axegrinders (similar to Drones)
Darrak (bruiser, flanker)
1x PKs (anti-range tech, great board control)
Tarn (screen, decent damage output, good board control)
Tandros (screen with a range option and some decent damage output, great board control)
Arkmer (efficient body, solid screen, good board control)