View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games

I have noticed that a lot of us have popped up and post things that claim that Summoner Wars is awesome. We are all friends with Colby and obviously want his game to be a total success, but I don't want to appear like a shill. I'm going to tell you all a little about what a game of summoner wars is like without going into great detail:

First off, you will choose a faction to play. Unlike Heroscape there really is no mixing of factions, but there are a variety of units within your faction and mercenaries that can join any faction. You have certain restrictions you must follow when building your deck and these will contol a lot of your choices, but there is enough flexibilty to have your playstyle represented in your army choices.

The game is played on a grid with squares that are the size of a playing card. This is your battlefield. You summon unit cards (common warriors and champions)to the field from a random hand draw using a clever point mechanism that is based on destroying enemy units and/or seeding your summon points with sacraficial discards. You get to move a certain amount of cards on the battlefield each turn, and you can attack with a certain amount each turn.

During the game there are spells your summoner can cast to help his warriors in their fight. These prove to be quite effective. Each unit has a set of abilities that make them special in some way, so the dynamism here is noteworthy.

Players play until they destroy the opposing summoner which is a unit card that is on the battlefield. This usually takes about 30-45 minutes.

Each faction plays very differently, and there will be much room for expansions.

The game takes about 5 minutes to learn. Setup time is very short and clean-up time is equally easy.

There are rules included for 3 and 4 player games. I think these are fun too.

You will not hear me say anything bad about the game because I honestly don't have any gripes. I could swear Truth had guys like me in mind when he designed it. I would not turn down a game of summoner wars if offered, and it will be at all of my game nights.

So there you have it. I would be happy to answer any broad questions but I will not go into detail.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell