View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2017, 08:01 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: The Spellbook of Mesmerize (Danger Room Playtesting)

NAME OF THE TESTED UNITS (Mesmerise Spell & Glyph of ******* ***** *******)
Army Test 1
- Does it pass, Yes or No? yes
- What should be the unit's point value? A narrow win for Strange seems to indicate you are in the right ballpark.
Map: Death Star Throne Room w/Bacta Tank replaced by glyph of ******* ***** *******
Units: Dr. Strange, Wong, Mesmerize@25, Final Ruin, Lightning Bolt x2, Mystic Flames x1 (440) vs. Azrael, Robin (Tim), Black Knight (440)
Spoiler Alert!

Recap: So when I drafted Black Knight I was thinking he would be a good one to block with the spell, but then after reading his powers and the spell text more closely I discovered that once he declares an adj. attack on the MD figure, their MD power is negated and thus they can’t cast any spells. Not that it mattered at all in this game as Black Knight couldn’t roll and shields and died without ever making an attack. Strange managed to finish off Azrael with some help from the Final Ruin spell. Robin struggled to put another W on Strange with his normal attack so he bat grappled over to the glyph, Strange decided to retreat out of his range and threw a couple of lightning bolts at him to no effect. Strange spend two rounds trying to finish off Robin after that and couldn’t finish him off, I think the most skulls he rolled in those 6 attacks were 2 several times and Robin blocked them each time. Robin couldn’t W Strange either though, even though he rolled 3 skulls on 3 dice twice. Strange finally ends it though.
Map: Death Star Throne Room w/Bacta Tank replaced by glyph of ******* ***** *******
Units: Dr. Fate, Atom, Mesmerize@25, Lightning Bolt (370) vs. Bug, Tigra (370)
Spoiler Alert!

Recap: Fate grabbed the glyph right away but then Bug used some hit and run tactics to draw him out towards the steps where he was hoping to be able to grab some high ground. Fate didn’t fall for this ploy though and ended up teleporting himself onto the Emperors Throne so then Bug attacks from low ground before retreating back to grab the glyph for himself. Fate then starts to attack Tigra from HG, who moves up the steps and fights back, Fate then teleports him and Atom over by Bug and the glyph. Tigra is forced to pursue on foot. Fate manages to drive Bug off the glyph and Atom then claims it, but Tigra rushes in and takes Fate down at the end of the round. Tigra then takes down Atom to end it. I should note that I could have and should have used the Lightning Bolt spell at one point but forgot about having it and then once I remembered I had it the best moves for Fate were normal attacks, either from HG on Tigra or after moving adj. to Bug.
- What should be the unit's point value? Silver Banshee wins this one but I’m not sure how much it had to do with the spell. Even had the spell not been played Banshee would have most likely won. Iron Man just failed to deal any damage with his repeated attacks on her and both Doc Ock & Iron Man’s 6 defense didn’t fare as well as Silver Banshee’s 5 def. did.

Units: Silver Banshee, Mesmerize @25, Final Ruin, Werewolf (455) vs. Doctor Octopus, Ironman (455)
Spoiler Alert!

Recap: The Werewolf heads out on a suicide mission and manages to deal 2W to Doc Ock before going down. Iron Man tries to lure Silver Banshee into a trap but she heads in the other direction instead. She then meets Iron Man in the middle of the board, Doc Ock joins the fray and gets destroyed, Iron Man takes a LEA to move onto the steps and attacks with HG, Banshee flies over onto the steps as well for a HG att., they dance up the steps each getting to attack with HG, the dice gods favor Banshee though and Iron Man falls.

Final Thoughts: It is definitely a spell you want to have when facing 3+ attacks as it can buy you a turn relatively free from worry while you try to deal with the situation. It should be noted that the one time I reduced an attack to zero (Doc Ock) I played it as it was reduced to a minimum of 1 and Doc Ock did not manage to inflict any wound with his four attacks of 1. These small tests all featuring figures with attacks a MD figure might fear insured it was used in a premium fashion, and under those circumstances 25 seems about right. The MD teams went 2-1 in these 3 tests but would have won the last test without the spell.