View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2021, 03:04 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I like the idea of some stronger Hunter synergy. Himmelskralle is worrisome as a bonding figure because she can be very strong in the right situations (she's certainly much better than Dünd or the Master of the Hunt in that regard), but I believe that it can be balanced.

As another idea for reframing Hunter's Howl to allow for the self-bonding:
Quote:
HUNTER'S HOWL
After revealing an Order Marker on this Army Card and before taking a turn with the Wulfing Hunters, if at least one Wulfing Hunter that you control is engaged, you may either move and attack with 4 Wulfing Hunters that you control or first take a turn with a Hunter Hero that you control.
That changes the condition to be checked at the start of the turn rather than the end, but it has the potential to streamline the wording a bit by essentially turning them into a 4-man squad in the right situations. I do like the idea of giving Hunter squads some love as well, but that's probably untenable because of classic designs without Order Marker restrictions like the Death Chasers of Thesk.

I don't love Hide in Tundra (I think Snow Strength would be just as thematic, albeit it makes them more fragile), but it's a fine power. Although it's weird thematically, I think that if the power is going to be a reskin of Hide in Darkness/Swamp, then the +6 bonus should be for the flat terrain (ice) and the +3 bonus should be for the normal terrain (snow). That helps create a consistent power between all three versions and should make it easier to remember. If you want the stronger bonus to be reserved for snow terrain, then I think that the naming convention of the power shouldn't mimic Hide in Darkness/Swamp so closely.

As a more big picture concern, I am a little worried that these guys will be bland to play. The Mohicans' War Cry requires much more setup to activate and is a more interesting decision point since they have range themselves. If just one Wulfing Hunter needs to be engaged for them to bond, then they're going to be getting those extra turns pretty often, and their only other real bit of mechanical flavor is a standard durability power. I think that the design could probably use a little more flair to really stand out beyond the Hunter synergy (as some quick examples, either a short ranged attack for the spears or bumping up the engagement requirement to 2 figures would create more decision potential for both players). That would also make the Hunter synergy more palatable to many VC members, I'd imagine, since it would make the design feel less like it exists just for that Hunter synergy.