View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:24 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun Typhon2222 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Gents, I hope you'll forgive this topic coming up again, but I'd like to ask whether the esteemed judges of the BoV might consider revisiting the rule prohibiting the use of uncapped wall segments.

I know that in its current ruling, the BoV is simply hewing to what is specified in the FotA rulebook, which reads:

"When building Fortress Walls, follow the rules below:
Each Wall Section must sit on a Base or another Wall Section.
Each Wall Section must have a Wall Walk or another Wall Section on top of it.
Fortress Walls may not sit on water tiles or other tiles considered to have no height."

But I think the case could be made for a contextualist interpretation of these lines. For it seems clear to me that the intention behind these rules is to point out what is necessary to do if you want to make a functioning castle. That is, they are intended to be descriptive, not prescriptive.

Or to put it another way: as the rules themselves say, they are to be followed "when building Fortress Walls". To which my response is "But I'm not trying to build the walls of a Fortress. I'm using the segments for other purposes." In which case, the rules for building fortresses don't apply.

I wouldn't bring this up if WotC hadn't pulled the plug on Heroscape. But the sad fact is that some of the best LoS blockers glacier mountains, and evergreen trees are from sets which are long dead and almost impossible to find. This is why it seems more important than ever to reconsider our position on uncapped wall segments used as stand-alone pillars. It's not just that they make AMAZINGLY good (and flexible) LoS blockers. It's that a single FotA set provides a HUGE number of them and that FotA is one of the few sets still easily available.

Allowing uncapped segments in BoV maps would unleash a creative surge in tournament-oriented mapmaking, I bet, and allow the community to take advantage of a whole bunch of currently-untapped terrain ideally suited to making melee-friendly maps.

Last edited by Typhon2222; February 27th, 2011 at 10:48 AM.