View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:30 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Smurf along with me: la la la-la la la!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
What do you guys thing about putting a superhero symbol for people in the General logo area? I did it for Dr. Doom as well.
I'd lean towards a Marvel/DC/etc symbol there.

Quote:
Here are the reasons I don't like the coin so much at the moment.
1) It's too tall. This guy is flying, otherwise the coin would be right on the mini image. We need that area under the mini for possible symbols (including customs group) unless someone else has a better way to lay them out, perhaps in the bottom bar.
I don't particularly like that coin symbol either, TBH - the font and background are too similar in color so the text doesn't pop. Aside from that, though, two thoughts:
  • Maybe try turning the coin perspective on its side, to save vertical space? By that I mean, make the reeded edge of the coin viewable from the side instead of the bottom.
  • Do what you do with literally every other stat icon on the card - cut it off on the edge. The coin can provide a bigger text area with less overall area if one or two edges are cut off by the side of the card, and possibly the bottom of the card or the top of the bottom bar.

All of that said, I don't think it's horrible if parts of the figure image do hide behind the coin (and the heart) at times.

Quote:
2) The coin calls attention to itself when points don't matter much when playing. (Although I could get more on board with the desaturated version I showed a while back.)
I think you are overstating this as an advantage. Lots of parts of the card aren't strictly needed for gameplay, yet we don't try to hide them on the card. And as LordRaidor noted, many players riffle through their cards looking for cards of a certain cost. Points being easy to spot is a feature, not a bug.

FWIW, If you do end up going text only for cost, I'd definitely suggest just leaving it at "P" instead of "points".

Quote:
Other things to note about the second card image above.
1) Drop vs. blood, and I changed the side the reflection is on. I think this is better than the other side where it could get cut off in a confusing way if the card gets printed slightly off center. The drop is narrower than the heart, so I did have to shrink the font a bit for the double digit life Amazo has.
I still prefer the drop but the heart is growing on me. I'm happy with either.

Quote:
"Relentless Android Antagonist" as suggested by dok. I like the economy, saving the dot, but also like the visual look of two dots on that line. Not sure why. Thoughts?
Thanks for giving it a shot. After looking at it I think I like your original two dot approach slightly more but both work fine.

Quote:
I thought I would throw together one more Hero with the smaller icon variant (and will do one squad card with it too). Here's that result (with the wrong stats at the bottom):
Still looks good to me. As I said before I'd shrink the life icon/font to match it. Also, the bump as the bar gets taller right before the hitzone is a bit distracting to me. Maybe try a more sigmoidal shape for the transition?

Quote:
Lastly, I tried dragging around the green shading rectangles and hit a couple of points where it felt like some possibly useful idea was being expressed. I don't know what it is, but maybe you guys can untangle it for possible refinements to the main design:
None of this is doing anything good as far as I can tell. The bar at the top just cuts out space that the figure image could spill into for some cards. Breaking up the bottom bar doesn't add useful space, doesn't make anything clearer, and makes the card appear more blocky.