View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2017, 11:25 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: HS2010's Map Thread - Gauntlet - 2/11/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Wow, I'm in love with this map. It's definitely my favorite of yours and might be my favorite of the maps that have been posted as of late (Wilds of Valhalla contest). I just really dig the three zones and nature differences, going along with this intense name. Glyph placements look good, the cover is useful throughout, and each section is solid.

I definitely think the original version of Gauntlet is superior to the other versions. Props heroscaper2010.
Thank you! I'll be honest, the theme of the three zones and even the map name itself is taken from Call of Duty: Black Ops 3's Gauntlet map:

The Tundra is even in the middle with Jungle on its side. Only difference is Lava compared to Urban (you could do a Marvel version but that violates BoV guidelines).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I think the first one you posted is much better than the others, both mechanically and aesthetically.

As far as glyphs i like them all random. But I'd need to play on it to know if specific static glyphs would be ideal, that's typically a hard thing to figure out in map building.
@kevindola (C3V Playtest Unit, Stingers x4, and Raelin) and I (KoW x3, Glibert, Denrick, C3V's Orrick, and Eldgrim) just played a game in which the lava was hardly used. In the original version with the big Glacier near the lava area, it blocked a lot of the LoS into the tundra area. That's why I switched it so that there's a little more LoS into the middle tundra (giving more reason to go onto the lava).

kd liked the water and the glyph in there. Gameplay wise, it sets the glyph 8 spaces away from the level 3 snow hexes, forcing most range to move down onto the ice or even into the Jungle section. He mentioned putting Astrid or Gerda down there (I like Astrid in this case). Not sure what to do with the lava glyph yet...

I'd be interested to hear more about your reasons for liking the original version more aesthetically and mechanically. And what about the ruins? They did work well for me in my game against kd as I hid my last Knight back there as he barked out orders to his Human Champions.